Using clay pebbles for watering plants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using clay pebbles for watering plants

To avoid watering my young plants from the top I sit them on capillary matting, I also use seramis clay granules which I find very good, but I have been looking online and came across clay pebbles that look like they could do the same job, I recon they could be more economical and also easier to maintain a more sterile base as they would be easier to clean, has anyone used clay pebbles and if so are they suitable as a bottom watering medium
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

I'd never heard of Seramis, Rary. Thanks for mentioning that. I was thinking of using something our local builder's merchant carries, expanded clay balls called arlita here and used by builders for mixing in with concrete to lighten the weight. That looks to be similar to what you call clay pebbles. Arlita is quite small though and pesky underfoot if a bag splits. They roll around very readily. For your intended use, Arlita would probably work well, but now that I've seen what Seramis looks like, I might go for that. I don't bother washing or sterilising anything, so that isn't a concern for me and the rolliness under the trays for me would be a disadvantage. I think I'd like the greater stability offered by Seramis.

Comment

Snoop, seramis is very good for holding water, the biggest problem with it, for me anyway, is when the roots come through and spread into the seramis, when lifting the plants there is always some seramis, trapped by the roots, so it's a steadily deminishing resource, whereas the clay pebbles are large enough to be salvaged from the roots, I'm just not sure of the porosity of the clay, but no matter I have ordered a bag anyway to see how it works, if successful its a lot cheaper than seramis
      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
        Snoop, seramis is very good for holding water, the biggest problem with it, for me anyway, is when the roots come through and spread into the seramis, when lifting the plants there is always some seramis, trapped by the roots
        That's a good point. Less than ideal then for my purposes too. I shall ask Mr Snoop, see what he suggests. He'll probably tell me sand or coarse grit and sigh with despair at yet another thing he has to find for me... Poor man.

Comment

I have tried course sand, 5he problem with that is that you have to keep the water level up till the roots start spreading through it

Comment

Thanks.

I went rummaging through Mr Snoop's pile of stuff and found a bag of cheap arlita. And it's perfect for my purposes.

Thanks for opening this thread, as it rather focused my mind.

Comment

I know the clay balls as leca balls - very light weight.

I've found some in an IBC here at the new house, along with hundreds of poultry drip feed pots (??). I have no idea why he'd dump them into an IBC, but hey... I've fished them all out and I'm hoping someone can make use of them, but I'm keeping the leca balls for exactly that purpose - I have enough for a small tray that pots can go on top of for watering.
              https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Seramis granules sound like they would be excellent for potting on orchids, which only need anchorage and moisture from the medium they are in. I may try it.
                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                Endless wonder.

Comment

Yes it is suitable for orchids mothhawk, and they grow well in it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X