Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do folks till greenhouse beds though growing season?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do folks till greenhouse beds though growing season?

I use fresh soil + compost mixture so I don't need to weed but the surface gets green with moss/algae as the season progresses. I stir it up a bit from time to time.

Is that right?
    What do other folks do?

Worried about damage to shallow roots.
    Tomatoes and cucumbers mostly.
    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

I have two greenhouses with beds, as opposed to the two with tubs. I add extra compost and food every year. I rotate crops between greenhouses. When I first put my small plants out into the beds I try and hoe gently between the plants about once a week. After a few weeks however I find it hard to even get through the doors let alone weed or hoe around the triffids. When I start to remove the lower leaves from the tomatoes I try and tidy up a little.

Comment

The surface of compost mulch in the lotty PT sometimes gets a tad green - we either top it with more compost (if it needs it) or lightly tickle with a three pronged hand held cultivator.
      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I use containers in my greenhouse and it is paved.
        Years ago my dad had a greenhouse and after many years using the border soil it just became depleted.
        When he got too old he wasnt able to take out the old compost and replace it.
        So, with that in mind * decided to use containers.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
          [...] When he got too old he wasnt able to take out the old compost and replace it. [...]
          Know the feeling...
          I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X