First Greenhouse Crop Suggestions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Greenhouse Crop Suggestions

I'm in the process of moving to a new plot which has a 12' by 8' greenhouse. It's in great condition and only about four years old. It's got a solid, flagged floor.
    I'm hoping to grow tomatoes, peppers, chillies and possibly aubergines.
    Has anyone got any other suggestions for something I could grow easily as a novice greenhouse owner?
    Thanks.

I also grow cucumbers, melons, basil, french tarragon, oregano and grape vines. None of them are particularly hard to grow.

Comment

Peach tree or trees or nectarine & peach they don’t like the winter rain,good place to live overwinter,can be carefully moved outside in the summer if you need the space for annual fruit.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions.
        I hadn't thought of using the greenhouse for herbs but it makes sense.
        I'll see how I get on with the greenhouse this year and maybe look into a fruit tree for next year. I like the sound of homegrown peaches.
        Thanks again to you both!

Comment

I used to grow butter head lettuce in my greenhouse. They grew quickly intercropping and had more tender leaves than those grown outside.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

If you can start now , pop a couple of early seed potatoes in a 30 ltr tub for an early crop , early carrots , beetroot and salad leaves in containers. Also spring onions and spinach.

Comment

I use mine for growing tomatoes, chillis and the odd cucumber. Sometimes have strawberries in it to, stops the squirrels eating them all. Where it really comes into its own though is in getting things started early that1 then put out in the garden. Once we get into March April the seedlings I start in the house go into the greenhouse until the soil is warm enough to plant out and my tomatoes during the day. Keeps the peace at home as otherwise the house gets rammed with seedlings.

Comment

Thanks everyone.
                I've got tomatoes, chillis, peppers and aubergines all under way.
                I'll let you know how I get on later in the year!

Comment

I said I would let you know.
                  It all went great.
                  As well as the stuff I had underway originally, some one gave me some Cucumber plants as well.
                  Really pleased with my first year's crops.
                  I've already ordered seeds for next year.

Comment

Well done!
                    Lambs lettuce is a good early crop - and autumn crop too.
                    Just a thought…and easy to grow
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Nice one LG. 12 x 8 is a good size as its more stable temerature wise than an 8 x 6 ( well mine is)

Go to your local chippy and ask if they have any polystyrene fish boxes you can have... then you can get a packet of mixed salad leaves (I think Franchi do an overwintering mix) and sow in them, they're good for sowing leeks in as well and if you grow dahlias theyre great for overwintering the tubers in.

Come spring you can sow some Paris Market carrots in them as they don't need a great depth of soil/compost. maybe 4 dwarf french beans for an early crop as well. and radish of course.
                      ntg
                      Never be afraid to try something new.
                      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                      ==================================================

Comment

I've grown my Toms and Chillies in my greenhouse but also Melon plants which alot of people don't grow and its heaven when you pick a ripe melon and eat a few slices fresh off the plant.
                        The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck ...

... is the day they make vacuum cleaners

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                          Well done!
                          Lambs lettuce is a good early crop - and autumn crop too.
                          Just a thought…and easy to grow
                          I prefer miner's lettuce (also known as winter purslane) myself.
                          It's very hardy and germinates and grows even in the colder months, and the leaves are quite fleshy and juicy, with a mild sweet taste (kind of like actual lettuce). Plus you can still eat it even after it starts to flower, as it doesn't turn tough or bitter like many salad leaves do.

Just be careful not to let it set seed. I made that mistake, and I have carpets of it coming up everywhere every spring and autumn, even in places where there is no way seeds ought to have been able to get (like pots of new compost). Luckily the plants pull out really easily, and are only annual anyway.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X