To Harden off or not to Harden off, that be the question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Harden off or not to Harden off, that be the question

I have grown garlic in my unheated glass greenhouse (sown in middle of December) all have grown really well and I want to now plant it out on my allotment. Do I have to harden them off first please or can I just go out and plant in situ?

I just planted the cloves in there final position last month.
    They were cooled by leaving them on the shed window ledge over a couple of frosty nights and then into the ground.
    They are now 4 inches high.

Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Plant them out when there’s no chance of frost,I don’t know the overnight temps/where you live,check the weather forecast for your area,if there’s frost,do you have a row cover or anything for protection?

Comment

Hi, you dont need to harden off garlic.
        When they are established they benefit from th frost as this is what causes the garlic to split into cloves.
        Just make to feed them when they tart into gtoth.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Garlic certainly needs a cold cycle to set its biological clock correctly especially if you are using store bought bulbs.
          If you just shove it in after it has been stored indoors it might produce round bulbs and no stipes.
          I have put in some tiny bulbs that formed on a stipe from last year along the edge of my bed as an experiment.
          Last edited by Plot70; 04-02-2022, 12:11 PM.

Comment

I plant my garlic straight out in the garden,but if they’ve been in a greenhouse,would the green bit of garlic growth be a bit tender to the frost?

Comment

Just put the green bit below the soil if you are worried.
              Store bought garlic sprouts pretty quickly if stored in the fridge.
              There frost proof performance is on an equal with any spring bulbs you are likely to come across.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X