Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenhouse advice

Hi,

I'm going to effect a greenhouse when it gets slightly warmer.

I did the initial ground work and noticed now that the ground is slightly uneven. What would happen if I built on it?

I should mention my greenhouse is small, its 6x6 but with toughened glass
    Last edited by Sim2500; 21-12-2021, 09:51 PM.

A friend erected a greenhouse 4 meters square. He was a fraction low in a corner but not much. The glass does not fit as well as it should and lets rain in. He wishes he had been more careful now.
    Bob.

Comment

Here what we did for what it's worth. We are DIY duffers BTW. .

We put up a 2x3m secondhand one four? years ago. Ground hadn't been disturbed for many years and was compact gravel and ash (ex parking space) . Stripped off the thin layer of grass and leveled around the base to maybe +- 10mm, laid approx. 20mm layer of course sand/fine gravel and bedded concrete blocks into sand. Ended up level to about +-5mm.

Placed greenhouse on blocks.

I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

I put up a 10' X 12' years ago.

The instructions said with the metal base it could be put directly on soil. Rubbish! I wasted so much time trying to get it level.

I ended up cutting some slabs into 6" strips, which I laid on sand/cement, which was so much easier to get level.
        Attached Files
        Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Originally posted by DannyK View Post
          I put up a 10' X 12' years ago.

The instructions said with the metal base it could be put directly on soil. Rubbish! I wasted so much time trying to get it level.

I ended up cutting some slabs into 6" strips, which I laid on sand/cement, which was so much easier to get level.
          Hi Danny, resurrecting an old thread to ask about your greenhouse perimeter(?) base. We're just looking at getting a new one and want to plant into its borders with a middle path.

So how easy is it to 'attach' the greenhouses metal base to the slabs? I just got a quote from a landscaper and they advised against putting it on slabs as they might crack when they were drilled. He suggested pouring concrete. How did yours go?
          To see a world in a grain of sand
          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X