No announcement yet.

How long should auto vent element last?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long should auto vent element last?

Got 2 years before it packed up. At about £12 replacements don't break the bank but what life do other folks get?
    ​​
    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

We have two that are 13 years old and still going strong.
    Last edited by Mr Bones; 07-04-2021, 12:57 PM. Reason: Can't add up (13 not the 2..)
    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

3 of mine are secondhand and came with the greenhouses well over ten years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
        Got 2 years before it packed up. At about £12 replacements don't break the bank but what life do other folks get?
        ​​
        QW most come with a 2 year guarantee so its worth checking when you bought it.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

The two have are at least 12 year old.

And when your back stops aching,
          And your hands begin to harden.
          You will find yourself a partner,
          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Thanks for responses. I'll keep proof of purchase on this one.

Do folks lubricate the slider thingy?
            I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

I give all parts of mine a good greasing of petroleum jelly every Spring.

Comment

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
                I give all parts of mine a good greasing of petroleum jelly every Spring.
                I'll try that, but perhaps in autumn before bad weather sets in.

I should have said that we suffer from bad salt spray every westerly gale. Galvanised farm gates (and cars) rot in ten years.

Comment

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post

I'll try that, but perhaps in autumn before bad weather sets in.

I should have said that we suffer from bad salt spray every westerly gale. Galvanised farm gates (and cars) rot in ten years.
                  If you don't use your greenhouses in Winter maybe remove the autovents in the Autumn, grease them and put them away until Spring.

Comment

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post

If you don't use your greenhouses in Winter maybe remove the autovents in the Autumn, grease them and put them away until Spring.
                    The greenhouse is in use most of winter except for fumigation and bed replacement in December. But I do disconnect the opener and secure the vent shut from October to March against gales
                    Just remembered: element was left in greenhouse while sulphur candle burnt overnight. That will have done it no good at all.
                    Will bring opener indoors this winter.

Comment

My old (now demolished) greenhouse had an autovent. It was over 40 years old when it was demolished. Our neighbours have a greenhouse and their autovent had packed up so I gave them my 40+ year old one. It is still doing sterling service. Just hope my new one does!
                      Last edited by Organo Pleno; 22-04-2021, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X