What do you think?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think?

Right, I've got the new cover for my tunnel so once the weather improves I hope to make a start and get the darn thing up so I can sit down there and drink tea and top up my tan

The problem I've got is I can't decide wether I should make the two beds either side or for the first couple of years cover the bottom with Mypex and grow my crops in either pots or straw bales and then use that to make the beds.

I've got through 4 cups of tea and am more confused thn when I started Pots aren't a problem I've got loads of 5 ltr, 15ltr and even 30ltr pots so thats not an issue. Watering isn't too bad - we dont have water on the site but I have a 1000ltr IBC and a canal to go at and somewhere in the shed is a roll of cappillary matting and some big trays for growbags and the like ... any thoughts?
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

I was going to grow in containers in my greenhouse, I was advised that I might want to grow in the soil later and to make sure that would be possible if I want to at a later date. I'm glad I did, I can now choose, options are always a good idea I think.

Comment

How bad is the weed situation? If it's mild to moderate, I would just give the area a good going over and build the beds now. If it's badly infested, then the mypex may be a good idea.

Comment

Don't muck about. Make the beds. You can still grow in pots on top of them if you want to, but once the beds are done, they're done.

You'll be glad you did.
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

Agree with the others...good but of weeding and turning over , then get the beds made.
          If still in a delemma , why not do one side now and the other in the autumn. Less backbreaking that way????
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

This bit has never been touched all I ever did was try and eliminate the worst of the weeds by use of some of the Chooks. It’s mainly nettles (they got to waist high last year ) as I didn’t have time when I first took the plot on and wasn’t sure what I was going to do with it. Having ignored the “problem” over night and today I think I’m going to skim/strum the worst off for now and cover it for a couple of years. Then the ‘waste’ I can compost along with the Tubs of used compost and that will give me enough to put down as a bed. I’ve got 6 other beds to make for fruit veg and flowers so I can concentrate on that for now. Plus I’ve work to do at home on the back garden.

Thanks for the input guys
            Last edited by nick the grief; 21-01-2021, 03:28 PM.
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X