Perity's Timber Glasshouses

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perity's Timber Glasshouses

Anyone use or have any opinions on Peritys dutchlight glasshouses?

Hi DtD

These are the rolls royce end of greenhouses ( as you can see by the price tag) but, if you look at the cost of an Alton (who were the ones to have a few years ago) they are reasonable.

IMHO if I had the choice of any greenhouse free of charge one of these would be on the list. The reasons?

1. Wooden greenhouse are inherently warmer than aluminium framed and doesn't have the problems of condensation.
    2. The size of the glass (60" x 30" roughly) means less overlaps to attract grime and thereby reduce light passage
    3. Having a wooden frame it is so much easier to attach shade netting/bubble wrap.
    4. Any diy is relatively easy as you don't need to worry about trying to source the proper aluminium forms ( I want to alter my existing 8x6 to be the same as my big house and the g/house is out of production now so the profiles I need is not available )

If you don't like the look of the price ( which I can understand) keep an eye on e-bay as the wooden houses tend to go relatively cheaper than the metal ones. But if you want a proper answer ask my mate who bought his alton house in 1959 (2 years after I was born) as it's still going strong today (unlike me )

ps if anyone wants to get me a combine chrimbo and birthday pressie can I have one of these please about 30' x 10' should be fine
    Last edited by nick the grief; 20-11-2008, 01:31 PM.
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Thanks for the detailed response Nick it is really appreciated as there seems to be very few reviews of any glasshouses online.

I guess one of my concerns was longevity of the structure, but from your comments I am guessing with regular maintenance it will probably out live me.

Just waiting on a quotation for a 40’ x 12’ Dutch light, with auto vents and a drop door.

We have grab wagon is onsite today removing soil so that a base can be prepared. Nothing ever goes to plan, as they have just burst a water pipe though luckily it is just feeding a water trough.

Thanks again.

DHD

Comment

Not a problem DHD, yes they will last years with a bit of TLC, I assume it comes flatpacked and you have to put it up do you? if so I'd put the frame up and then give it a couple of coats of a good wood preservatives inside and out and then give it brush down every 3 years or so and another treatment and it will definitely out live you!
        ntg

Comment

Hi Nick,

The supplier installs the glasshouse onto a prepared base.

I think I can pay extra to get it coated in addition to the pretreatment.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselthedemon View Post
            Hi Nick,

The supplier installs the glasshouse onto a prepared base.

I think I can pay extra to get it coated in addition to the pretreatment.
            It that case just wait till they've gone and do it your self ... It'll be cheaper
            ntg

Comment

lol... think I will do that.

Now that the site has been cleared I would like to maximize the space, waiting for a cost for a multi-span 4 x 12ft spans by 20ft which would give us 960 sq ft of growing space.

I also intend to make provision for heating via a wide diameter pipe run from an oil fired boiler, though need to research the best way to go about this. To be made live when the new barn is constructed and operational.

This one is definitely going on a made to measure dwarf wall, one to increase the height of the eves and two to avoid the problems I am experiencing with my 20 x 10 rhino (which had 2in of water sitting in it the other day)

Comment

Well another update, after a few conversation with the kind people at Petrity's and looking again at the space available we have gone for a 13ft x 40ft Dutch Light. To meet our installation window and that allocated by petrity's it has been sent for manufacture already.

We opted for 2m long sectional panels for the roof and sides to give us 13ft in width rather than the standard 12, and extra eves height, all in toughened safety glass.

The glasshouse will be fitted onto a 2 brick high wall to keep the bottom rail off ground level, just waiting for a brick cost from furness brick.

Already counting down the days to mid feb-09...

Comment

The construction of the base is now complete, and ground levelled inside and out. Just waiting on a whacker plate to firm up the ground before the weed barrier and gravel goes down and off course the glasshouse it's self.

Comment

Just received a call advising that it should arrive Wednesday of this week, looking forward to seeing what it is like

Comment

Its arrived , frame is up already will try and get some photo's in the morning.

Comment

Pictures of the frame waiting to be glazed.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Diesel, that is a beauty - isn't there something almost graceful, about a wooden greenhouse.
                          http://www.robingardens.com

Seek not to know all the answers, just to understand the questions.

Comment

I think it blends better into the environment, and come the summer with better light and everything greened up I think it will look beautiful.

Picture doesn't do it justice as it is foggy and overcast today.

Comment

OMG I'm so envious. That would almost cover my garden. If that was mine I think I'd only go in the house to use the bathroom and go to bed
                              If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X