Drafty greenhouse

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drafty greenhouse

I have an 8'x6' aluminium greenhouse frame with a slight problem....it has no glass!

Apart from having no glass it is in excellent condition with a sliding door and one opening window

I priced having it re-glazed a while ago and the cost was prohibitive to say the least (about £150 I think)

I would like to move it to my allotment and wondered about covering it with polythene? How would I fix it to the frame? Any other suggestions for glazing etc?
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

That glass price seems a bit steap. However i would still invest in the glass as it will be a lot better (more heat ect) and it will not get ripped

Comment

Hi Snadger,

Look on e-bay under greenhouse as there is a guy there who sells polycarb really cheap. This has the added advantages of being a bit more robust (won't break like glass) & it's a bit warmer being twin wall.

I think someone posted the address in a thread on this bit of the vine.
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

Hi Snadger
        I think the guy Nick is referring to was brought to our attention by Wolf320. Anyway, wolf sent me the guys e-mail address, so here it is.
        polyareus@hotmail.com.
        Wolf320 reckons you won't find cheaper for polycarbonate glazing, worth a try.
        Rat

British by birth
        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Many thanks Rat and ntg..I'll give him a try. Cheers
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Just while I'm waiting for a reply from the polycarbonate man....and i assure you I haven't been drinking...ok, just a little bit of wine!....hic.... Exclamation mark above head.?....Eureka!!!! ...What does wine come in.?..clear glass bottles!!!!

How about making frames up of greenhouse pane size and using wine bottles as glass + insulation. Could I silicone it together or even cement it? I have all winter to empty the wine bottles before the main growing season in spring and it would certainly make a novel and interesting project which is earth freindly, ..hic.... Dunno how the allotment comittee would view it though?

Am I a total loon or does this make sense to anyone?

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I think you should have an asprin and go to bed . It would work though. Try it and post a pici on here

Comment

And i forgot to mention that you are also saving the enviroment !!!

Comment

you's loose a lot of light not to mention braincells
                  ntg
                  Never be afraid to try something new.
                  Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                  A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                  ==================================================

Comment

Here is one I made earlier! Had to use placcy bottles though
                    Attached Files

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Before someone comments and I get done for plaigrism I cheated and googlised bottle greenhouse, just when you think you have a bright idea, someones done it before.

I'll show you my aluminium/plastic bottle greenhouse when I finish it (If I start it!) To use polycarbonate 4mm twin wall is going to cost me £87.58!!!! That makes me thirsty for a drink of pop, and some!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X