Multi-span Polytunnel or Glasshouse

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Diesel

I have several pictures of the greenhouse in various stages of construction but I don't seem to be able to download them to the forum.

Does anyone know how to post some pictures?

Galileo

Comment

Originally posted by dieselthedemon View Post
      ...I realise that the produce wouldn’t be able to be certified as organic by the soil association, but I think I am correct in saying that if I used raised beds it wouldn’t be either...
      If the soil/compost you use to fill the beds is SA certified there is no reason why you shouldn't be certified organic, it's the additions of non oraganic substances (feeds & sprays) that is the limiting factor not the fact that you have raised beds which mearly alter the drainage of the soil structure, and if you operated a no dig culture the stones won't come to the surface.

Originally posted by dieselthedemon View Post
      ..There does appear to be organic nutrient solutions on the market for use with hydroponics so I could be organic without marketing my produce as organic....
      If you can't market as Organic and you won't be able to if you are not certified, then there isn't much point in incurring the potentially higher costs of the "organic" nutrient especially as you won't have any control of additions to the water in the 1st place. I imagine that Sewer Rat can tell you better than me but I would guess that the margins are tight enough without giving yourself the extra burdens of increased cost to start with. If you were growing for yourself then yes, I would do exactly the same but if you are trying to compete with people that are cheaper to start with then you are on to a looser. I would think long and hard several time.

Hope that helps
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

Thanks for the info Nick, I have downloaded information from the soil association and will look into it further. Organic raised beds might be the way to go.

Comment

Glass Or Polythene

No Contest GLASS is the winner.
          If you want to grow properly. I have been growing for 25 years always under glass computor controlled vents, heating, humidity and water.

This year I started growing Micro herbs in multi-span poly tunnels and boy what a toy town micky mouse affair they are.

I have had loads of problems Heat been the main as heat rises there is no where for it to go, I put circulation fans in and opened the ends but then got draft and cold on seedlings.

Home

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X