What to grow for winter

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to grow for winter

Hiya, I am very new to all this but my OH has built me a very small (4 foot by 2 foot) polycarbonate greenhouse which I have grown some tomatoes in. As these will soon be finished I have been trying to figure out what is best to try to grow in there in the winter (in pots as it is on the patio) and am really not sure. My garden faces north east and my greenhouse only gets some direct sun in the early morning although I would not say my back garden was dark.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

Originally posted by minicrank View Post
    Hiya, I am very new to all this but my OH has built me a very small (4 foot by 2 foot) polycarbonate greenhouse which I have grown some tomatoes in. As these will soon be finished I have been trying to figure out what is best to try to grow in there in the winter (in pots as it is on the patio) and am really not sure. My garden faces north east and my greenhouse only gets some direct sun in the early morning although I would not say my back garden was dark.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !
    One PSB?............nope, forget that, not enough room!eek
    Last edited by Snadger; 27-08-2008, 07:38 PM.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

How about some perpetual spinach or swiss chard - both CCA crops which will let you pick fresh leafy veg throughout the winter.
      Rat

British by birth
      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I also would suggest CCA including lettuces, chard, spinach, etc., as Sewer Rat has suggested. Maybe some parsley and mint as well. If you can move it into the most sunny, sheltered position in your garden it may help.

TGR
        TGR

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the advice guys, I will be off to the local garden centre as soon as I have finished my cup of tea !!

I love chard and spinach but can usually never afford to buy chard on the odd occassion I see it - it costs a fortune down here. And leeks and chard and pasta in a cheese sauce

I never even realised you could get lettuce to grow in the winter ! this will help a lot as both the kid and I like to have a salad box for packed lunch.

Once again thanks for the help - now if I can only find the 'on' switch for the sun and get those tomatoes finally ripened.

Comment

I grow lettuce Valdor in my cold greenhouse every winter and can have lettuce leaves every day of the year now. I have also tried winter density to give variety but much prefer the Valdor. Seeds should be planted in trays or modules around now and until about end of October. Enjoy your greenhouse all the year round.

Comment

I'm watching this thread in anticipation of ideas as everything suggested so far, can be grown outdoors without a pollytunnel. Seems a bit of a waste of space?

Comment

A chard is a big plant ... mine are about 2 foot wide and 3 foot tall.

You could eat them as mini-veg though, in your tiny greenhouse
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X