peppers not setting

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peppers not setting

I have three big banana pepper plants in pots in my green house standing side by side. The first one has a lot of peppers set on it with more flowers.
    The middle one has plenty of flowers but none have any fruit setting.
    the third one has plenty of flowers but only two fruit have set. Can any one explain why only one plant has done any good?
    johntheeng

Sounds like a polination problem,is the first nearer the door where wind and or insects are polinting the first plant.As they are in pots why not swap there positions round?

Comment

Hello Burnie,
      I think you may be right and will try swapping them round. thanks for the reply
      johntheeng

Comment

Originally posted by j r hilton View Post
        Hello Burnie,
        I think you may be right and will try swapping them round. thanks for the reply
        Let us know if it works.

Comment

Very unlikely to be the case. Almost all capsicums are self fertile so they don't need the insects. It's more likely to be differences in the amount of sunlight, temperature (daytime and nightime) and watering each plant receives. Slight differences in these can affect fruit set.

Comment

Originally posted by unconcerned View Post
            Very unlikely to be the case. Almost all capsicums are self fertile so they don't need the insects. It's more likely to be differences in the amount of sunlight, temperature (daytime and nightime) and watering each plant receives. Slight differences in these can affect fruit set.
            You're quite right about them being "self polinating",but the pollen still needs to be moved to set the fruit,they just don't need pollen from another plant.Tapping the supports/canes is usually done if insects are totally excluded in commercial environments and damping down in hot weather also helps with fruit setting as the pollen can be too dry and fall off.

Comment

yes burnieit worked.After swapping the plants round peppers set on the one without any.
              johntheeng

Comment

Well done jr,good old Geoff Hamiltons advice is still helping us along,even after he's left us ,it will apply to all greenhouse/polytunnels,just remember to jer,jer jiggle it a bit to help the pollen transfer.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X