Plastic Greenhouses: Some Newbie Questions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic Greenhouses: Some Newbie Questions

This is my first post on this forum, I stumbled here whilst trying to get information on plastic greenhouses. Basically what I am looking for is a plastic tunnel greenhouse for a family farm. Roughly 30M length, 10 M wide, 5/6 M Height. It must be able to withstand wind speed of 150km/h to meet Israeli standards. From the little I know Im told that a height of 5/6 Meters provides the best results for ventilation.

Some questions I have, and I would be thankful for your input are as follows:

1. Is there any way to estimate the yeild per sq m (For tomatoes, In Israel)?

2. What is the minimum feasible area for cultivation of other vegatables in a plastic greenhouse?

3. I have heard of people using plastic greenhouses with chicken wire for housing chickens, Are such set-ups barn or battery chickens?

Best Regards,
    Avi

Hi Avi, there is an "under cover" section of the forum which might be more suitable for your questions?

I guess what you are talking about is a polytunnel. I don't know how you would estimate yield - I guess work out the number of plants you can fit in the space available and get an estimated yield per plant?

The minimum feasible area for veg depends on what and how much you want to grow! Can obviously grow a few bits for the family in whatever size you like but I would imagine if you are thinking more on a farm scale it would be a bit different!

Barn / battery for chickens is to do with how much space and freedom of movement the chickens have, rather than what kind of building they are kept in. I personally wouldn't even think of keeping chickens in a greenhouse, especially not in Israel - it would be far too hot for them, I can't imagine they would even survive the sort of temperature you would get even in a very well ventilated greenhouse / polytunnel, let alone anything else.
    Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

I would estimate yield by taking commercial growing rates, which I think are around 100 tonnes / hectare for short season, and 200 for long season. That's between 10 and 20 kg / square metre, which I guess "feels" about right in terms of yield per plant.
      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Green Giant View Post
        3. I have heard of people using plastic greenhouses with chicken wire for housing chickens, Are such set-ups barn or battery chickens?
        Broiler/broiled chickens.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X