Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenhouse door

How well should a greenhouse door fit ?

My greenhouse is about a month old and is a Europa Manor Regent made by Eden. Im sure that when I first put the door on and it was in the closed position the door brushes sat snug against the frame. I have been out there today and we have had very heavy winds, I was shocked that the whole greenhouse appeared to be shaking. The only place the wind seems to be getting in is through a gap that has appeared around the door. Its about half an inch on one side. A little less on the other , the whole length of the door. The gap is when you look at the door from the side. The door is in the right positon when it shuts, it just seems to have come away from the greenhouse.
    If i push the door with my hand from outside back towards the greenhouse the gap closes. But the whole door mechanism seems baggy, especially at the bottom. The construction of the sliding mechanism is not good at all. You have wheels at the top you can adjust and the bottom of the door has like plastic blocks that sit on the bottom runner. I can see no way of adjusting the door to pull it back into the frame to close the gaps. I dont think the door has bent, I would call Eden but they are closed for Easter. We have severe gales forcast for the next few days. I am not sure what to do. Does anyone here have this greenhouse ? Is the door supposed to close air tight ?
    I hope this is understandable, I would go and take photos but it is pouring down.
    Is the whole structure supposed to flex ? It is on concrete and well bolted down but even the staging seemed to be rattling. I was scared to stay in there
    Last edited by Jo.B; 21-03-2008, 04:54 PM.

Is your staging fixed to the ground by stays set in cement?

If not, it's probably insecure and moving.

My base was levlled and the stays set into cement and stones and debris piled around it. It is partially protectd by a 0.75metre high wall .. but otherwise exposed to wind. It has not moved in 25 years.

Comment

JO B
      Yes they are supposed to flex a bit if they where to rigid it would have just shattered, I was in my greenhouse and it was just like being inside a lung hopefully the winds will go away soon.

Comment

Judging by the Met office web site, we have more gales/severe gales, this coming weekend!
        A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work!
        There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

Comment

Tighten up everything with a spanner and lie your staging on its side with the high winds, if its going to break, then its going to break, maybe wedging the door with cardboard to stop it blowing about might help.
          Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

I took all my seedlings inside and they have gone crazy in the warmth

I layed my staging down and taped the door shut with gaffa tape .. A metal dustbin blew into the side of the greenhouse with an almighty crash but my toughened glass didnt break

Im now not sure if its the door that has moved or the surrounding frame , im going to try draft excluder to close the gap, or fashion some kind of clip to pull the whole thing closed.

I will call Eden tomorrow to see if they can suggest anything.

Thank you all for your comments ..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X