Staging - fighting for top shelf

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staging - fighting for top shelf

I have a 4-tier staging inside the greenhouse but I try to get most of the seedlings on the top shelf, thinking anything below them are too shaded. So am I wrong in thinking that lower shelves are wasted space. Just that I'm running out of good space.
    Last edited by veg4681; 20-03-2008, 10:15 PM.
    Food for Free

It is a bit of a wasted space isn't it? I was thinking the same thing today! I've moved the tray on the top shelf a bit so that there's a bit of light on the next one & put some pots close to the window. They'll probably have to be turned daily though. On the bottom shelves I've got my tubs of potatoes, which are ok in the shade for now while I'm still earthing them up.

Comment

As well as there not being as much light lower down the shelving it is also a lot colder. There can be a considerable difference between the mean temperatures at the bottom of the greenhouse and the top.
      I found this out to my detriment last year when some of my early spuds that I had in buckets on the floor got frosted, but the ones I had on the staging were ok.
      At present I've got my plants on the top of staging with my chitting spuds on next shelf down along with a cheap paraffin heater to try and keep the frost off!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I swap all the seedlings round on the top two shelves and use the lower shelves to store string, pots, seed trays, secateurs and all the other gardening bits and pieces that Madmax gets annoyed with round the house.
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X