Organic Liquid Feeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organic Liquid Feeds

I've been growing tomatoes,peppers and chillis for the last couple of years in my polytunnel using no pesticides ,but have been feeding them with phostrogen tomato food.I've been very happy with the results.
    This year I want to go completely organic but don't know what the best organic replacements are for artificial soluble fertilizers.
    Any advice/help greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance ,Ben.

Hi Ben, Organic feeds for plants & veggies
    Westland -
    Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

Feed

Thanks for the link,Gardenplot.That's just what i'm looking for.

Comment

I want to go completely organic and will be giving it a try westland feeds is good i have used it on my plants and will be using it on my veggies this yeay.
        Smile and the world smiles with you

Comment

If you live anywhere near the sea you could make your own, I make mine using seaweed gathered from the slipway on the beach, wash it put it in a hessian bag with an equal amount of comfrey and hang the bag in a barrel of water, leave to ferment for a few weeks then use the liquid. refresh the contents of the bag when you top up with fresh water.
          put less in the bag for a weaker feed or put more in the bag to make a stronger feed.

Makes a good tomato feed but it absolutely stinks.

Cheers Chris

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

And, there's comfrey and nettles steeped in water for a few weeks as a liquid feed. Although, I've not tried this yet.

Tracey
            Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Michael Pollan

Comment

HMMM..

Maybe I should add nettles as well

Comment

Do these homemade feeds give similar results to proprietry ones?

Comment

Sorry I dont know I havent done any compparison tests, maybe I should this year.

Comment

Originally posted by crichmond
                    Sorry I dont know I havent done any comparison tests, maybe I should this year.
                    Yes Dr. crichmond, maybe you should! We'd all be interested in the results.
                    To see a world in a grain of sand
                    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

thnx 4 the advice

Comment

I think the mind thinks that anything like Comfrey tea, nettle tea and sheep muck in a muslin bag hung in a water butt, because it stinks to the high heaven, is going to do the plants good!

Could be termed the 'fresh FYM syndrome'!

There are too many variables to be too exact especially about dosage, but it saves you money, is more ecologically sound than buying additives, and sometimes,............ to grow something exceptionally well with organic fertiliser you've made yourself can boost your feel good factor and make you want to experiment a bit more each year, getting better at it and improving your soil, and crops, as the years go on!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Some years ago when I still had a greenhouse and grew tomatoes, I tried one year out of interest feeding alternate plants with tomorite or an infusion of nettles. It made no difference to the plants, they all grew well with lots of toms. Maybe they don't need feed at all, depend what you grow them in.
                          I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

I fed my cauliflowers with a mixture of manure/comfrey/nettles steeped in water and they did very well indeed. I'm not sure if it was the feed or the extra water which the feed was delivered in, but the results were so good I'd recommend giving it a go, definitely.
                            V stinky though.
                            Last edited by muckdiva; 13-03-2008, 10:56 PM.
                            All at once I hear your voice
                            And time just slips away
                            Bonnie Raitt

Comment

ive mad liquid fertilizer out of comfrey you can get special barrels for the job, or just cover or paint a plastic bottle black with a teeny hole in the bottom leave the leaves in the bottle to do there work and collect and bottle the liquid as it comes out

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X