No announcement yet.

I have turned into a scavenger!!!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a Skip Rat too. Though Womble sounds so much nicer, more middle class.

I think my most embarrassing habit is picking up discarded cauli leaves and broccoli stalks from Tesc0 for the guinea pigs (they're waste, so I don't pay for them ... though probably should, technically I'm stealing)
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Main problem I've found with wombling is when your only form of transport is Shanks's Pony or a pushbike. The biggest thing I've got home on the bike (well 2 really, mine and daughters) was a rabbit hutch and run.

Comment

YouTube - The Wombles - Wombling Song
        Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Michael Pollan

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
          Main problem I've found with wombling is when your only form of transport is Shanks's Pony or a pushbike. The biggest thing I've got home on the bike (well 2 really, mine and daughters) was a rabbit hutch and run.

I love my wheelie trolley for that very reason. Perhaps you could get yourself a trailer for your bike. Just imagine how much you could get in it!

Well done on the rabbit hutch on a bike, though. you must have made an impressive sight
          Last edited by FoxHillGardener; 06-03-2008, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracey View Post
            Fab! I like the 1974 Eurovision version in the related videos too. Smashing frock on Katie Boyle

Comment

I've got an ology!

I'm a skipologist!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Wombling!! i love it, my mum always told me i would end up rooting through skips if i ever got an allotment and she was right!

Comment

My new fence to keep the chickens out of my veg plot is made from old pallets scrounged from work

Some of my raised beds too

Oh and my path edging

So I'm a Womble now too
                  Last edited by Rooster; 08-03-2008, 04:23 PM.
                  "My Pink Half Of The Drainpipe Seperates Me From You"

Comment

That looks cool Rooster.
                    All at once I hear your voice
                    And time just slips away
                    Bonnie Raitt

Comment

All Free (well apart from the stones)
                      "My Pink Half Of The Drainpipe Seperates Me From You"

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHillGardener View Post
                        It's not scavenging it's wombling and perfectly acceptable

...making good use of the things that they find, things that the everyday folks leave behind...etc

the slightly dim one was always my favourite - now what was his name? off to google
                        i think of my self as a bit of an "ORINOCO" BUT ISN'T SKIP DIVING FUN
                        this will be a battle from the heart
                        cymru am byth

Comment

It's just our way of making sure that the world's resources aren't wasted - saves us a few quids/euros - and also gives us that nice warm feeling when we get compliments on how good our garden/lotties look.

Scavenging it may be but it's socially acceptable scavenging and we all do it so we can't be wrong - can we?

But hang on, we're the weird bunch that collect seeds and stuff, buy so many seeds we don't know how to use them all ............... talk to ourslves when we're working our gardens/plots ...............

So that's ok then, not a problem from what I can see!
                          TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

the wombles on my allotments seem to do allot of collecting stuff but not using it and leaving it laying about the place making it look untidy, nothing like what rooster has done..nice one

Comment

If you had to buy everything new gardening would be very expensive so recycling other peoples waste is a win win situ. They get rid of stuff to enable them to fit more in the skip, the environment doesn't have some more stuff dumped on it and you save a few pounds.

Rooster that fence looks great, I bet you'd have to pay a fair bit if you'd have got that from a garden centre.

Matt
                              http://keeping-it-green.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Wagland View Post
                                ....I always ask the owner before skip diving (unless it's very dark...) but it's surprising how often people ask for money! Maybe that's just Colchester though......
                                They know your a highly paid Journalist Paul, so being as millionaire can afford it

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                                I've got an ology!

I'm a skipologist!
                                If you kick the habit does than make you and exskipoligist like houdini snadge
                                ntg
                                Never be afraid to try something new.
                                Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                                A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                                ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X