Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can plastic milk cartons be useful in any way?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made scoops and found them a bit flimsy for much scooping. I have seen them used as poop scoops in community-maintained parks

My old racing club used them as markers for grid rows...

I use some for storage of weed tea.

tbh - assuming you live in an area that does recycling, as they are pretty easy to recycle and are in sufficient quantity to be properly sorted, I'd put them out for recycling in the main.

Comment

I've stuffed them with nettles and comfrey in the past, then just fill with water, pop the top on and leave to brew - and they're all ready to use without any need for messy decanting.
      He-Pep!

Comment

Who is it who fills them with sand as 'soft bricks' instead? Is that Cadalot? I use water because that's what I have to hand!

I've also done something like this for Strawberries. https://ecogreenlove.com/2013/09/19/...-bottles-jugs/ I just put the rod through the handles, though, and they do tend to rotate!

Comment

Sorry, should have been more specific with link....

Click image for larger version

Name:	090614_milk_cartons_02.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	2377323

Comment

In addition to the uses already suggested I fill screw-top containers of various sorts with water and put them in the greenhouse and poly-tunnel - the idea being to use them as a thermal sinks so that the heat around in the day can help moderate the cold at night.

BTW has anyone considered that it may be worth hanging on to various sorts of plastic bottles so that if a return scheme for 5p or whatever comes in they could make a few £'s ?
            ( I did say I was mean) :-)

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm
              Not if the tops on!
              Must be our bottling plant. Always take care when putting milk in the car...

Nothing like sour milk and making work for ourselves

I was looking at bird netting and ways to hold it down.

Also following events of fly-away getting rubbed, counted bricks out.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
                In addition to the uses already suggested I fill screw-top containers of various sorts with water and put them in the greenhouse and poly-tunnel - the idea being to use them as a thermal sinks so that the heat around in the day can help moderate the cold at night.

BTW has anyone considered that it may be worth hanging on to various sorts of plastic bottles so that if a return scheme for 5p or whatever comes in they could make a few £'s ?
                ( I did say I was mean) :-)
                You'll need to get your wee barcode printer out.
                That said... if it does work...

Is it going to end in a disaster.... Someone is going to print barcodes for higher value bottles.

ho hum..

Thanks for the update....

I would give it a try, but out of milk bottle tops until weekend Drink black coffee. Milk drinker back then
                Last edited by 4Shoes; 18-04-2018, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1Bee View Post
                  Sorry, should have been more specific with link....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79678[/ATTACH]
                  I do like this......

There have been a few ideas for strawberry planters.

Deep Gutter and Waste Down pipe (100mm).
                  In both these cases the design was soaker pipe down the bottom, medium, and then plant up.

For down pipe, hole saw to cut planting stations.

2l milk jugs might just give enough soil to hold water longer.

Comment

I use the pouring end as a funnel for filling bird feeders.

As all upstairs taps have soft water I use them to store water for house plants.
                    Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Tidying up the pots and the coriander stalks are flopping over.

Just used an old milk jug to hold the stalks up. similar to the plastic bags you see for live herbs in supermarkets.

Comment

I keep an empty one near the kitchen hot tap to save the tepid water that comes out before the hot water does. Use it for house plants and seedlings.

Comment

I don't think they will last very long if they are exposed to sunlight all the time. I save the 10 litre containers to store water from the air conditioners. After a while, less than a year sometimes, the plastic crumbles like a biscuit as the plastic is not treated to stand up to the UV radiation from the sun, unlike the plastic flower pots and planters.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X