No announcement yet.

Pest control within a greenhouse

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for companion panting outside I always plant nasturtiums everywhere - I've got a climbing variety and it spreads very quickly and I always plants it at the border of my plot and it keeps the blackfly for everything. Plus I collect all the seeds from them at the end of the season and get absolutely tons to plant for the following year...I've got envelopes full of them!

Also in my last garden my tomatoes were plagues by greenfly, until I planted tons of sweet peas and then the greenfly migrated away from my tomoatoes like magic!

I'm going to try the calendula, but also plant some marigold as I've got tons of seeds.

Comment

Eskymo,

we use nasturtiums as a sacrificial plant as well. We also tend to plant all sorts of flowers where ever there is a gap and at the ends of rows, primarily for cutting for home. The upside of this is that they attact so many ladybirds, hoverflies etc that any infestations of anything nasty are soon decimated and everything brought back into balance.

Comment

pigletwillie - thank you very much for the 'recipe' I will track down some beeswax this week and I'm sure you have just put the sales of calendula up as I have also just purchased a packet of seeds
        www.poultrychat.com

Comment

Piglet, whendo you plant your nastursiums outside? I've got some started in the greenhouse and doing really well but I've no idea how frost hardy or not they are.

Comment

BlackKitty, For the past two years we have gone on holiday in late May so everything gets planted just before we go. This year we are off to France again at the end of May so all of our flowers, sweetcorn and anything else still in pots will be planted out a few days before hand and hopefully miss any frosts.

Nasturtiums are one of the few flowers we dont start of in pots. We plant out pot grown flowers as mentioned above and then direct sow the nasturtiums at the same time to prevent the nasturtiums taking over as they grow so quickly. This gives the other flowers time to get going and rise above the nasturtiums before they start spreading. They are great as ground cover as well, just broadcast the seeds.

Comment

I start my climbing nasturtiums off in pots indoors pretty early - I think I planted mine in March this year...when they're quite sturdy, I harden them off at the beginning of April and then plant them out everywhere I want them in the garden.

I don't mind if I lose some to cold weather as I plant so many that I can always replace them. I just like to get them into the ground and established quite early before I plant my main crops.

For the none climbing type, I plant the seeds directly in the soil at the beginning of April...mine are just popping up now and are all about 3cm high so far.

Comment

Hi Piglet willie, we too are off to France in late May 29th to be precise and i will be planting all my fruit and veg out before i go. Do you put your tomatoes and cucs out also?

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I have found nasturtiums to be the first plant hit by the frost in autumn, so I would imagine that the same thing would happen if you plant them out too soon. You could always plant them in pots (which could be moved under cover), or just cover them in fleece if the temperature is expected to drop below 4 degrees. I useually just sprinkle the seeds outdoors at the end of May too.
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks, the one's I've got going are in pots and I know they grow really quickly when they get going. I'm going to leave them in pots as I thought I could move them round depending on what I was growing where. I want to plant some more on a patch we have next to the pond which is a bit bare and wasn't sure when to plant and I need to kick the potted ones out of the greenhouse as every inch of space is precious at the moment.

Comment

Bramble, were off on the 21st. Everything will have to go out and chance it but they will have been well hardened off by then. Our main cuc crop is in a greenhouse but some will be outside. I always check the 5 day forecast before we go and if it looks doubtfull lash up fleece shelters which our plot neighbours remove if the weather improves.

Our main tomato crop is again undercover but has been out for a month and is starting to form fruit. The extras will also go out with a fleece wind break.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Pigletwillie. Think i might start hardening off my plants now to get them used to the outdoors. I have an extra week after you so hopefully it will be a little warmer.

And when your back stops aching,
                        And your hands begin to harden.
                        You will find yourself a partner,
                        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X