Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cost saving tips for heating greenhouse?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
    would you like to see a foto of what your missing
    Can it be our guilty secret?

KK

Comment

How about getting right back to the old ways, heat your greenhouse with fresh horse muck. Fill up your empty compost bags with it and you've got ready made storeage heaters. Come summer, you've got ready made equicompost.
      I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
        How about getting right back to the old ways, heat your greenhouse with fresh horse muck. Fill up your empty compost bags with it and you've got ready made storeage heaters. Come summer, you've got ready made equicompost.
        Couldn't put up with the condensation problems and getting brayed over the head with a rolling pin each night because I smell like a cowbyre/stable!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I've used polystyrene boxes (you can get them from fishmongers, some butchers) and stood some of the small plants in there as extra insultation for the winter. A couple of layers of fleece on top provides a cosy home.

Also saved any polystyrene packing sheets from parcels and lined the shelves of the metal staging.

I find it helps to move plants as high up as possible, to get lots of light and get them away from the coldest part of the house. Whole house gets bubble wrapped (it's only small).

For the coldest nights, using a small paraffin heater - although it seems to be getting harder to find places that sell paraffin, garden centres seem to charge a lot for it.
          Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

Originally posted by lainey lou View Post
            G'wan then
            Originally posted by scared55 View Post
            Can it be our guilty secret?

KK
            Here you go what your missing
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by kentvegplot View Post

For the coldest nights, using a small paraffin heater - although it seems to be getting harder to find places that sell paraffin, garden centres seem to charge a lot for it.
              I get mine from the local allotment shop............about half the price that you pay in the shops, just bring your own container!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks Snadger, good idea. Now to track down an allotment shop....
                Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X