Planning crop rotation- what goes where

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning crop rotation- what goes where

The grapevine is a fixture as are the dark green raspberry canes which cropped into November last year!

My question is the placing of the other crops. I have
    peppers
    sweetcorn
    garden peas
    cucumbers
    butternut squash
    piccolo tomatoes
    chives
    lettuce
    coriander

Assuming I can upload my layout graphic what would you suggest goes where?

I should add that I have a small flock of chickens that roam the back garden where the tunnel is located.Click image for larger version  Name:	polytunnel small.png Views:	1 Size:	23.5 KB ID:	2408376
    Last edited by Eoghan; 13-05-2020, 12:08 PM. Reason: accuracy

When you can upload your image give us another shout, for rotation to work, we need to know what was planted where last year too.

Comment

Last years crop was nettles and weeds!

Comment

The picture was within size (pixels) but uploading it from a different browser gave this information which I then used to make it even smaller??
        Anyway planning to turn over the paving today and kill every slug I find!

Comment

I tend to group my crops into 3, Roots, Brassicas and others, manure the brassicas and others and compost for the roots and rotate annually, works for me.

Comment

What would you recommend for the shady side with the vine?

Temperature control is going to be a problem if I cant open the doors AND keep the chickens out! Siggestions welcome

Comment

I’d put the lettuce in the shady area. Tomatoes peppers & sweetcorn need the sunniest area,squash can grow between corn,it can trail along the ground. Peas & beans are good next to corn. If you’ve got space between tomato plants a few lettuce seeds will fit in. Where are you planting the cucumber,is it marketmore or a female only type,if it’s marketmore it could go outside if you want. That’s a big polytunnel,sweetcorn will need a little shake to help with pollination,the wind usually helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Eoghan View Post
                What would you recommend for the shady side with the vine?

Temperature control is going to be a problem if I cant open the doors AND keep the chickens out! Siggestions welcome
                I keep blackbirds out when fruit is ripening with a length of netting that I tuck into the top and drape down. for hens, you may need to have pegs at the bottom to stop them pushing through.

Comment

Here's my rotation plan:
                  Plot 1 Potatoes
                  Plot 2 Roots (carrots, parsnips, celery, sweet potatoes, fennel, salsify, chicory etc.)
                  Plot 3 Alliums
                  Plot 4 Squash, courgettes, sweetcorn
                  Plot 5 Brassicas
                  Plot 6 Peas and Beans

Every year, whatever is in plot 6 goes to the top of the ladder everyone else drops down a step.

I have a permanent bean trench for climbing beans, and other beds for salads and perennials so these are not involved in the rotation
                  Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Peas will need to go in this week they are really tall and starting to fall over. Kept some branches I was prunning as support - just as well really because cant get rid of garden waste under lockdown! Will put then on the sunny side. Sweetcorn were difficult to find so they are a week or two behind will plan to put them on the sunny side up at the drier end of the tunnel, so I guess that is where the peas go too.
                    Thanks to everyone making suggestions - very helpful

Comment

Personally, I would recommend growing peas or lettuce in a polytunnel. Neither like excessive heat, and I suspect a polytunnel would be too warm for them to do their best. They are better grown outside.
                      It might be worth doing a late crop of those two in the polytunnel, though, sown in August.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X