No announcement yet.

Recommendations for a a new greenhouse?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for a a new greenhouse?

Hello all,

I need to replace my existing polycarbonate wooden greenhouse which has last 10 years but has definitely seen better days, repaired over the years but suffered badly during storms earlier in the year. It was cheap, only £199 and struggles in windy Blackpool.

I've been looking at greenhouses for a while but can't decide on a wooden or aluminium or a brand/company to use; too much choice?

I want to buy a new one, not interested in 2nd had and willing to pay upwards of £2k but preferably less. I only have limited space so probably 6x4 again would be the size I'd be after.

Can anyone recommend any brand or company or specific greenhouse or any to avoid?

Thanks

I bought a Rhino, I live on the North East coast of Scotland and it has so far survived some pretty ferocious storms. Price was ok and the build quality seems excellent, worth a look.

Comment

I have a Rhino as well, around 5 years old. Sturdy and trouble-free.

I would always go for aluminium because it lasts forever without needing maintenance (apart from cleaning the windows, obviously).

Get the biggest greenhouse you can fit into your space, it still won't be big enough.
      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I got an elite craftsman 10x6 a few years ago and really happy with it.

Comment

I’ve bought 2 from the greenhouse people. Love them both. My only recommendation is look into an extra high one. It gives a sensation of much more space above your head, and and extra truss on tomatoes means extra crop.
          Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

interesting...no greenhouse for me but I said I'd investigate for a friend. Rhino and aluminium sounds wise...what extras would you recommend, or not, greenhouse owners?

Comment

Extra height, as many vents as you can afford, downpipes for water collection.
              Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Elite has been good for me - and comes from Bolton which is still Lancashire I think. As others have said look for the height at eves as a major criterion. You want the biggest that can fit your space. If 6x4 is your limit, I would have thought one opening rooflight would do. You could add a louvre on the side opposite the door but it might never be needed.

Comment

Ventilation is so important. I have two windows in my 10x6 one manual and the other automatic. Plus an automatic Louvre window on one side. I also bought the staging for one side which is great.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                    I bought a Rhino, I live on the North East coast of Scotland and it has so far survived some pretty ferocious storms. Price was ok and the build quality seems excellent, worth a look.
                    Thanks for the reply and the recommendation of a Rhino, definitely one I'm considering. I'm very familiar with the east coast of Scotland as I used to live in Forfar but now in windy Blackpool, although we've had a lot of sunshine recently.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X