Greenhouse Base

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenhouse Base

I have chosen this rather rough looking site for my greenhouse. It will be 8ft long x 6ft and comes to about the blackcurrant bush (allowing extra for base)
    As we are complete beginners with greenhouses, are looking for advice. Does the ground need clearing, levelling and then?? Do we use sand or hardcore? I am thinking of having paving slabs as opposed to concrete.

Any help welcome - thanks

I chose to have anchors in concrete so I can use the border soil to grow things in as an option, a solid floor means you need to grow in containers, I found this more labour intensive watering wise. If you use slabs you will still need to anchor the greenhouse to the ground, drilling and rawl plugging can be hard work, slabs are difficult to drill.

Comment

I’ve got a rectangular base of fence posts (100mm x 100mm treated) resting on the ground. Inside I laid three slabs up the middle, stood a couple of planks on their sides butting up to the path on either side to create beds and plant into the ground.

Comment

I used 12x24 slabs around the edge for the greenhouse base to sit on, you could just use a double row of pavers or anything else reasonably solid. Then just lay pavers in the middle for your path and plant both sides or have one side soil one side potting bench
        Death to all slugs!

Comment

If I was doing it I'd sledge-hammer in a metal upright for each corner first as anchors to be sited outside the greenhouse frame. Then roughly lay some slabs in sand where the walls and gable end are to go, Next erect the frame without glass or door to check for levels and adjust the slabs to fit as necessary, After that fit the glass and doors starting the glazing from the bottom, maybe drill the corners of the greenhouse and wire them to the anchors before the glass went in at that point. Fit the door - guttering and water butt desirable but not essential.

Happy gardening, Nick

PS I'm a bodger not a builder, so I go for the easier options where possible.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X