Can't visit daily - PT viable?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DTM View Post
    Thanks can the man.......... Also, is that a dripper system you have set up to the top pots? I've read about such systems using solar power......
    Hi Dan I’ve edited your comment just to address the question, yes it is a drip per system, my intention was originally to plant strawberries in 2 gutters but with lockdown I’ve not been able to get them so I went with individual pots. I’m very hopeful for a good crop. It is a manual system, I just plug the hose onto the dropper system then go off and do something come back about 10 mins later and do the same with the other shelf. I have a manifold that I want to set up but I can’t get any hose connectors at the moment. I also have water feeder tubes for the raised beds which I want to put on the manifold, and then get a timer for the whole system.
    Last edited by Can the Man; 15-04-2020, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Hey DTM,

I'm in Hampshire and we have the same size guideline for gh/pt/outbuildings. There's some leeway here for things you pick up 2nd hand but not for buying new. My greenhouse at home is only 4x6 and I manage to produce enough peppers and tomatoes for 4 plus regular gifts to others, and just enough cucumbers and tomatilloes for us. Depending on what you plan to grow and how good you are at planning and pruning, 8x12 could get you a lot.

Comment

8x12' is standard across Kirklees, some people have bigger ones from before the rules came in, as they allowed existing structures to stand. It is small, but large enough for a family, if you grow in the ground instead of growbags (which also helps reduce the frequency of watering needed).

I've not bothered with doors on mine and just have holes where the doorframes are, that allows the pollinators to get in and the birds can help keep the pests down. Anything frost tender waits until it's safe to plant out.

Comment

Originally posted by DTM View Post
          Evening all, hope you're all well.

I'm really wanting a new polytunnel, I'll probably go with Northern polytunnels from the research I've already done. I have a few questions which I hope you can help me with.

1. I can't get down to the allotment everyday, definitely no mornings to open doors etc. I'm out of the house at 0500 for example. So is there any way of ventilating it or should I just forget it?

2. I'm in Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, and the council guidelines for PTs are 8' X 12'. Does this reflect the national average? It seems quite small to me. There are already much bigger PTs on the site. I'll ask the council but in your experience / opinion do I have any bargaining power? Or would this actually be enough space to provide for a small family?

3. Has anyone any experience of solar powered irrigation systems or ventilation fans? They seem very straight forward albeit costly but if they can save me going down every day then a PT may well be possible.

I've many more questions that I've forgotten! Any help is much appreciated, I've already learnt a lot from reading through previous posts and love the forum but don't have much knowledge to give!

Kind regards
          Dan
          I have a solar watering system but in the height of summer a daily visit is essential if you ask me. There is lots that can go wrong and I'm winter it's fine as you have lots of leeway. In summer you really don't. Especially if you haven't opened the doors.

Comment

Originally posted by Can the Man View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]91117[/ATTACH]

You can see the mesh window at the end and the poly flap is rolled up.
            Having severe polytunnel envy. That is beautiful ��
            Anything is possible with the right attitude, a hammer
            and a roll of duct tape.

Weeds have mastered the art of survival, if they are not in your way, let them feed bees

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X