New polytunnel cover

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New polytunnel cover

I am poised to order a one for my frame,thank you wind,the one am thinking is thermal anti drip,it comes in 600 micron,and 750microns,am guessing one is thicker than the other,and therefore that bit stronger,i am lost on this one,help /advice please,i have measured and know how to order,and the need for anti hot spot tape.
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Until someone with more experience comes along, 750 microns is thicker than 600 microns. There are 1,000 microns in a milimetre. Hope this helps Lottie.

P.S left ours without the cover on for a few weeks and magpies pecked the anti-hotspot tape to shreds.
    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

thankyou mr B,i thought that was it,am hoping they are allowed to send it out,they say not to put it on until you ready to place the cover on,i bet that's why,what a shame,wast of time and money for you.
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Hi Lottie,
        I'm sure it will be 750 gauge polythene which is about 180 microns.750 microns is very very very thick.
        The best you can get for a tunnel is usually 200 microns and first tunnels supply it.
        Anti drip is the way to go.
        John

Comment

I forgot to mention that anti hot spot tape will add years to the life of the polytunnel.
          John

Comment

Thank you GG,you right,i got it wrong,gauge NOT microns,i now on the correct wave length,have looked on the 3 main sellers,the microns are 150 and 180,am glad i did not just order it,

Comment

Hi Lottie, I agree with Grumpy Gardener and when I bought mine last year I opted for the thicker gauge polythene I also had an option for a diffused thermic polythene which I selected, it was actually 840gauge the diffused means it’s foggy like and you can’t see clearly through it. But it does not stop the sunlight getting through

Comment

I just found this about the diffused polyethylene

DIFFUSED Thermic Polythene 840G (5 YEAR UV WARRANTY)
                'Thermic' - raises the temperature of the internal temperature by approx.1 to 2 Degrees celsius above the outside temperature.
                'Diffused' - reduces glare, disperses light around plants, gives a frosted appearance to the polythene.
                PAR Light Transmission: 91%
                Diffusing % of PAR: 48.5%

Polythene Warranty :- A manufacturer's warranty against UVI degradation of the polythene is 5 years. This warranty does not cover accidental or malicious damage, storm damage, damage from chemicals, cleaning agents etc or general wear and tear etc. Please read our 'Guidelines of Care & Use of Polythene'

Comment

Diffused polythene also cuts down the incidence of plant burn in right sunlight, a particular problem with salads.
                  John

Comment

Thank you very much guys for the info,exactly what i needed,all i gota do now is locate some and order,and hope i get it for use this season

Comment

Thermic polythene cover

Originally posted by Can the Man View Post
                      I just found this about the diffused polyethylene

DIFFUSED Thermic Polythene 840G (5 YEAR UV WARRANTY)
                      'Thermic' - raises the temperature of the internal temperature by approx.1 to 2 Degrees celsius above the outside temperature.
                      'Diffused' - reduces glare, disperses light around plants, gives a frosted appearance to the polythene.
                      PAR Light Transmission: 91%
                      Diffusing % of PAR: 48.5%

Polythene Warranty :- A manufacturer's warranty against UVI degradation of the polythene is 5 years. This warranty does not cover accidental or malicious damage, storm damage, damage from chemicals, cleaning agents etc or general wear and tear etc. Please read our 'Guidelines of Care & Use of Polythene'
                      Hello and Greetings from Scottish Highlands!
                      Hope you are safe and well

I am newbie in this business! I want to cover my raised bed hoops this year with some plastic sheets so that something will actually grow that i can enjoy! Most of the you tube videos are american.
                      so the questions are- polythene or polypropelene sheet? I will need about 8 feet wide and 25 meters long sheet to cover 4 beds. what microns thick and importantly where to buy from in the UK? above mentioned specifications appeal mw. Please guide me . thank you
                      sudhirb

Comment

Originally posted by sudhirb View Post
                        Hello and Greetings from Scottish Highlands!
                        Hope you are safe and well

I am newbie in this business! I want to cover my raised bed hoops this year with some plastic sheets so that something will actually grow that i can enjoy! Most of the you tube videos are american.
                        so the questions are- polythene or polypropelene sheet? I will need about 8 feet wide and 25 meters long sheet to cover 4 beds. what microns thick and importantly where to buy from in the UK? above mentioned specifications appeal mw. Please guide me . thank you
                        sudhirb
                        Welcome to the vine
                        Have a look at 1st tunnels. They have a good range of covers with a good explanation of what each one will do. All sizes you could ever need. All the big tunnel companies will do the same , but I like the layout of 1st tunnels website. I’ve used them a lot in the past.
                        What part of the Scottish highlands you from?

Comment

One other factor to look at is "strength" this as I recall is measured as resistance to piercing?? Not everyone shows it though

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X