Oh My! I've just bought a greenhouse!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You got a Brucie bargain..

Mark everything.. Take more photos than you think necessary.

Good luck ��
    sigpic
    1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Sounds like you're got a bargain there
      My GH was gifted by a neighbour we removed the glass then lifted the GH over a 5ft wall so I didn't have no were near as much work to do as face. I did buy new clips some of them were bent out of shape and luckily the rubbers were fine.
      All the best with your new GH.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

It's a bargain! I would never buy a new glass greenhouse now, I think. I got mine second hand and it was probably 5 years old when I got it. Not got a thing wrong with it

Use some WD40 on the sliders for the door once you've cleaned it all up.

It will serve you well for years
        https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by gardening_gal View Post
          Thank you VC!! I need to hire a van. I'm hoping it will all go in the B&Q vans as they are on offer at the mo'.
          If you need to hire a van, I would dismantle completely and stack where it is (advise the seller). Then hire the van when you know it just needs loading/unloading. Just in case you have any problem dismantling and hopefully, you won't break any glass trying to rush the job.

Comment

Nice one Gardening Gal. What every one else says plus don't stack the glass flat one on top of the other, stack it leant up. When it's stacked flat the weight of the top sheets cause the bottom ones to break which can result in a cascade type effect.
            Good luck with it
            Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Thank you all! Some really good tips/advice which I appreciate.

It wouldn't have ocurred to me to lean the glass up, I would have laid it all flat on top of each other, nor would I have labelled every pane of glass but I will now and I'll mark the framing too.

Thanks all for taking the time and thanks for all those links VC. Noted and read.

I'm getting excited again now.

Comment

I'm sure you'll enjoy both erecting and growing in it. I didn't really want a greenhouse until I got one. Now I've accumulated four. I found putting them together really satisfying (but then all I really wanted as a little girl was a meccano set but kept getting things like dolls).

Comment

Originally posted by gardening_gal View Post

It wouldn't have ocurred to me to lean the glass up, I would have laid it all flat on top of each other, nor would I have labelled every pane of glass but I will now and I'll mark the framing too.
                  If you slip a sheet of newspaper between each pane it makes it easier to separate them when you start to build the GH. If there's any muck on the glass they can stick together. You'll probably want to clean each pane first too.

Comment

Two things
                    1) is there a motor factor near you? A small tube of coppaslip (or similar) for the nuts and bolts when it goes back up will make life easier
                    2) when putting glass clips back on, I found a piece of stiff metal strip is the best thing to poke the clip into place to avoid chipping/cracking the glass

Comment

Well Karma is a ...bit of a nasty person...sometimes.

Grumpy son was working in Norway and was travelling home on Sunday. Late on Saturday night, he slipped on the ice and hurt his hand. He couldn't move it and it swelled up to twice normal size. He travelled home with it like that and went to A&E this morning to have it checked as he thought it was broken. It's not thankfully, but it will take some time to heal.

I told him that was Karma slapping him in the face for being less than supportive about dismantling and picking up the greenhouse.

As for the greenhouse, I messaged the seller to say I'd be there tomorrow and didn't get a response. I'm beginning to feel twitchy. I hope I haven't just lost the deposit I left with him and the greenhouse is still actually there for pickup! I'm sure I'm just being daft but you know when you get a feeling you just cant shift????? #pleasebewrong

Will let you know...........

Comment

I’m sure it will be fine. People have a lot on their plates. What did your message say? That you’d be there or were you checking if it was ok and asked a question?

Comment

I said I was planning to be there at a certain time and asked if that was ok for him. No response at all, yet he was very responsive during the initial contacts. I'm going to drive up in the car first tomorrow just in case. No point in rocking up with a van until I know for sure. I'm being daft, I'm sure I am. I admit to sometimes overthinking things, that's probably what I'm doing now.

Comment

Hope it all goes well for you tomorrow GG.
                            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Good Luck!

Comment

How did it go?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X