Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to grow under staging?

Morning.

Our PT had staging down one side and that side is fairly close to some brambles so gets a bit of shade early on in the morning. Wondering what I can grow under there? It's quite high off the floor so plenty of space. Was wondering if I can dedicate that space to some of cut flowers but not sure which type I know absolutely nothing about flowers. The tunnel is pretty huge tho so I can probably spare the space for flowers.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Simon

You are looking at shade loving plants that like heat, not sure there's many of those about, what height is the staging?

Comment

Pretty high, at least 90cm. I wanted it quite high so it usable underneath.

Excuse the change of username. Realised I already had an account!

Comment

I thought it was a coincidence - 2 Grapes called Simon posting about polytunnels on the same day.

Comment

You could grow mushrooms or force rhubarb under the staging.
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I'd make damn sure those brambles didn't get too close. In the height of summer they can grow 20" in a week, sods law says thats the week you're on hiliday and they rip the tunnel to shreds.

Comment

Aye the brambles are a massive pain. I go down it weekly with a hedge trimmer and just trim it all back. I don't much care for a the taste of wild balckberries anyway so I might try and get rid of them but I expect that would require some fairly heavy duty use of chemicals.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                You could grow mushrooms or force rhubarb under the staging.
                Haha well if there is one thing I defo don't need more of it's rubarb

Comment

I use underneath for storing pots seed trays and compost. Other than what snadger has suggested - its little use for anything else.
                  Last edited by Scarlet; 01-10-2019, 01:38 PM.

Comment

You need to weigh up how much light plants will get and be prepared to be disappointed. You could try spring bulbs, daffs, tulips and hyacinths may be and then things like carnations/dianthus or any fairly low growing flowers you fancy that you could move out if they don't thrive. I think a lot of cut flowers tend to be taller growing though. I would have thought Antirrhinum but some of these can grow to over 90cm when used as cut flowers.

Comment

How about some carnivorous plants? Monty was talking on Gardener's World about using sarracenia in his greenhouse for pest control, so I've been looking at them online.

https://www.littleshopofhorrors.co.u...ivorous-plants

Looks like butterwort prefers shade, and cobra lily too, though that one seems harder to grow.

Useful in your polytunnel too!
                      Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

That does sound like a good idea, ta. Will look into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark_Riga View Post
                          You need to weigh up how much light plants will get and be prepared to be disappointed. You could try spring bulbs, daffs, tulips and hyacinths may be and then things like carnations/dianthus or any fairly low growing flowers you fancy that you could move out if they don't thrive. I think a lot of cut flowers tend to be taller growing though. I would have thought Antirrhinum but some of these can grow to over 90cm when used as cut flowers.
                          Everything in my tunnel outgrows the I space I allocate it. Flowers that don't fit would fit nicely with the mid summer jungle theme I work to.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X