Life after blight

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life after blight

Both of my tunnels went down with blight this year. The plants and all fruits are now gone but as I want to grow tomatoes in them again next year, whats the best way to sterelise them.

Is a good spray with ***** fluid enough (perhaps twice) as well as a soil drench, or are there other methods to "clean up"?

OH uses ***** to spray the glass in the greenhouse to sterilise the glass and framework, but I would consider it a bit fierce as a soil sterilant, and would use Armillatox for that purpose.

If you go to armillatox.co.uk, you will be told that it is illegal in the EU for this purpose, but if you go to armillatox.com, you will be given all the dilution rates for its various uses. Apart from Armillatox, I understand there isn't a soil sterilant available to amateur gardeners. It is still readily available in the UK.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

valmarg

PS we still use it for all the purposes of the .com site.

Comment

Piglet,
      Blight spores (sporangia) can stay viable and infective in soil for between 2 and 11 weeks. So sowing another crop next year should not be a problem. Just make sure you remove all diseased plant material and fruit.

No need to consider soil sterilization with ***** or Armillatox, it's over-kill, and it's not required.

Hope this helps,

Comment

Sorry to hear that Pigletwillie, I thought indoor toms weren't so susceptible as the plastic keeps the spores away? For that reason I planned to do all my toms indoors next year - now I'm not so sure. All my outdoor toms bit the dust, but so far most of the greenhouse ones seem ok.
        All at once I hear your voice
        And time just slips away
        Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Piglet, you could try, being a resourceful engineering type chap, some heat based sterilisation of the top spit.

I worked on a flower nursey one student summer and they covered the greenhouse beds with black plastic sheeting and ran a steam hose from the boilers under one propped up end for twenty-four hours or so.

Two tunnels might be a bit expensive on gas though.
          Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
          Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
          I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

A sheen type flamethrower played over the land until it's smoking would probably do the trick.

For cripes sakes don't burn the polytunnel down though!

Armillatox would be ok to clean the inside of the plastic as you can legally use it for that!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

We suffered to. Thought about digging some of soil out and then replacing it with 'clean' soil.
              Or is this just creating unnessacary (forgive spelling) work?.

L

Comment

Not liking the sound of this ............. our Polytunnel arrived on Friday and OH in the process of putting it together ......... goodluck pigletwillie with the clean up ..........
                Lass

In all things of nature there is something marvellous.
                - Aristotle

Comment

you could sterilise the soil in a microwave... one dish at a time ...
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Jondanie is right - the blight spores don't last long and a quick wash of the plastic with ***** or Armatillox would be sufficient as a general clean up. I would be more concerned about rotation inside a polytunnel - as i'm sure you know!

If you want to clean up the soil anyway and add a different crop to the rotation you could try a green manure with biofumigant action (google Caliente Mustard) which would probably overwinter OK if you sowed it soon.
                    There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
                    Happy Gardening!

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Comment

Hi PW, what about the smoke cones thats sold to steralise greenhouses. Am sure they would work for you even if you wanted to try them in conjunction with some of the other suggestions. The more products you use in the tunnels the surer you are of killing all the germs or spores. Good luck whatever you decide.

And when your back stops aching,
                        And your hands begin to harden.
                        You will find yourself a partner,
                        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X