No announcement yet.

Greenhouse vs Polytunnel

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the help and advice everyone.
    I've decided to go for polytunnel rather than greenhouse but may get a cheap one first to see how I get on with that.
    After year one (when it's probably fallen to bits or blown away) I will know how successful my poly crop is and look into buying something of better quality.

Comment

More or less what I did a few years ago - I bought a small cheap one which is still just hanging in there 4 years later, although the zips broke and then bought a second-hand frame and discounted polythene 2 years ago and built myself a much larger one. This last is 3m x 6m and still a bit of a work in progress, I've now bought some extra framing to extend it a bit.

Comment

No straight amswer to this one.
        Polytunnels are cheaper than a greenhouse per sqaure footage of growing space. They are not very economical to heat if you need to and the covers do degrade albeit slowly. I dont use mine for propagation just cultivation.
        Greenhouses are cheaper to heat if insulated correctly but can sustain damage in exposed areas as they are rigid and dont move like a tunnel. I have 3 houses all 8x6 but one is for sowing and propagating only Greenhouses are easier to stage out and keep clean. If you buy a tunnel go for width 10ft plus with central path to keep cold wind off crops. If i had to make the choice i would go for the versatility of tunnel but your eye for a greenhouse theres loads on Facebook buy and sell pages. Good luck.

Comment

My 10p's worth...

The galvanized frames of polytunnels on ebay if at least 19mm width tubes are very sturdy, mine has been going for nearly 6 years now and not a sign of damage, corrosion etc. The covers though are a different matter and virtually worthless. Best to sell it on to someone who needs it and buy some decent polythene to cover the polytunnel.
          This does involve a bit more work battening down the polythene properly but definitely worth it.
          Death to all slugs!

Comment

Don't know how often you go to your plot, lymm - but my GH needed watering everyday, sometimes twice a day, this summer. Whatever you get, PT or GH, consider how you'll cope with the watering they need.

Comment

I have a 20ftx10ft polytunnel and two 8ftx8ft greenhouses.

I find that the greenhouses are better for tomatoes which I grow in buckets and the polytunnel is better for things like French Beans, lettuces, courgettes and the like. I used to grow tomatoes in the polytunnel but you have to replace the soil which is hard work.

As VC says think about how you're going to water stuff in either, they dry out quite easily. You can collect water from a greenhouse more easily than from a polytunnel.

Final point - how exposed is your site? Greenhouses tend to be more robust against wind than polytunnels.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                Don't know how often you go to your plot, lymm - but my GH needed watering everyday, sometimes twice a day, this summer. Whatever you get, PT or GH, consider how you'll cope with the watering they need.
                Thanks. It's not too much of problem for me to visit daily as I'm within walking distance of my allotment. Also, I water other plot holders' greenhouses whilst they are away on holiday and I know they would do the same for me if I were away.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkPelican View Post

I find that the greenhouses are better for tomatoes which I grow in buckets and the polytunnel is better for things like French Beans, lettuces, courgettes and the like. I used to grow tomatoes in the polytunnel but you have to replace the soil which is hard work.

As VC says think about how you're going to water stuff in either, they dry out quite easily. You can collect water from a greenhouse more easily than from a polytunnel.

Final point - how exposed is your site? Greenhouses tend to be more robust against wind than polytunnels.
                  Thanks Mark, I didn't realise about replacing the soil as tomatoes were one of the things I fancied growing. My french beans and courgettes have always done really well outside. I was hoping to grow tomatoes, aubergines, peppers, chillis. A couple of people I know have done ok with melons too.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkPelican View Post

I've got trees at either end of the plot but nothing down the sides. It's a fairly big plot (250 sq meters of beds with paths in between) so I suppose some bits are more sheltered than others!

Comment

Greenhouses are more expensive but can last a lifetime if looked after. They are more stable and can be heated if required.
                      Polytunnels are a lot cheaper and you can get a bigger covered growing area than a similarly priced greenhouse. They will need the cover replacing eventually and are more susceptible to wind damage though.

I personally prefer the stability of a greenhouse.
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                        Greenhouses are more expensive but can last a lifetime if looked after. They are more stable and can be heated if required.
                        Polytunnels are a lot cheaper and you can get a bigger covered growing area than a similarly priced greenhouse. They will need the cover replacing eventually and are more susceptible to wind damage though.

I personally prefer the stability of a greenhouse.
                        Thanks Snadger,
                        I've got a derelict lean-to on the side of my shed. Most of it has either rotted and collapsed or blown away but it has a solid breeze block base. One of my friends has talked me into rebuilding that as a greenhouse. He's offered to help so I hope he knows what he's doing as I don't...
                        So maybe a polytunnel in 2020 but I'm hoping for a home made greenhouse in time for 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by Lymmguineas View Post
                          Thanks Snadger,
                          I've got a derelict lean-to on the side of my shed. Most of it has either rotted and collapsed or blown away but it has a solid breeze block base. One of my friends has talked me into rebuilding that as a greenhouse. He's offered to help so I hope he knows what he's doing as I don't...
                          So maybe a polytunnel in 2020 but I'm hoping for a home made greenhouse in time for 2019.
                          If you can scrounge some double of triple wall polycarbonate from anywhere, its much easier to work with than glass and a lot more durable than polythene - if I'm stuck for glazing I just drill through it and screw it to the support behind - bit of a bodge I know but it gets the job done.

Comment

I had both on my allotment when I took it over in 2015 and soon realised just how hot a greenhouse gets!!!! Some days I was checking and watering my seedlings twice a day!!!

For that reason I much prefer polytunnels and hopefully Neil will be able to sort out a new cover for mine in 2019.
                            If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X