Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That sounds great fab, WPG . Have you grown Thalictrum aquilegiafolium from seed? Is there a knack?

No probs VC, thank you for checking

So far I have earmarked incarvillea, sweet pea percy thrower, and calendula snow princess.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
      That sounds great fab, WPG . Have you grown Thalictrum aquilegiafolium from seed? Is there a knack?
      To be honest, I'm not sure NG. The thalictrum tend to self-seed a lot in my garden, so I've never tried to germinate them. The seeds are encased in an outer husk, so I reckon that soaking them overnight before sowing might work.

Just wanted to post a photo I took today of dahlias grown from last years seed swap. I'm rather chuffed with it...never grown a dahlia in my life. It's a plant I've always avoided as I assumed they were rather difficult. But this was so easy to grow from seed, and it's giving me autumn colour when most other things are past their best. I'm a definite convert!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Scarlet; 28-09-2017, 01:35 PM. Reason: Fixing quote :)

Comment

Weird! ^^^^I wanted to like that post but because I've edited it I'm not allowed!

I love dahlias! I'm a big fan of all the "Autumn" flowers, I love rudbeckias too. I've never saved any dahlia seed though, the heads always seem to wet?
        I have been saving seed...though not sure what I've got yet.

Comment

Did you grow the mecanopsis from seed WPG? I've tried twice....and failed.

Comment

Yes, they were started from seed in early spring three years ago, and have flowered since their second year. The seed heads had very few seeds in, so I'm afraid there's only a pinch of seed for each.

I'm fairly sure I used the fridge to start them off - sown on surface of a seed tray with thin vermiculite on top, put into a plastic bag and left at the back of the fridge for a couple of weeks. Then I left the tray in the cold frame outside and the seedlings appeared a few weeks later.

I do remember the seedlings were tiny and didn't seem to get any bigger for quite a long time. Most of them either dampened off or got eaten by slugs, so I only got two viable plants in the end, but I do love them. When planted out they like a damp and semi shade position. The slugs seem to love them too, so I keep copper bands around the base. Other than that they've been very low maintenance plants.
            Attached Files

Comment

I've dried my seeds and will bag them tomorrow. My selection are Thalictrum aquilegiafolium, himilayan blue poppy, snapdragon liberty crimson, erigeron karviniskanus, clary blue denim and aquilegia double winky.

I've also saved what I think are the seeds from japanese anenome, but I'm not 100% confident that I've saved the right part, the 'seeds' look microscopic.

Comment

I have a confession to make I haven't saved any seeds this year. Just didn't have anything to save.
                Its the same for the Herb circle that I was going to run.

My question to you all is - would somebody else like to run this or both Circles as it seems daft sending the seeds to me when I have nothing to contribute. Better that one of you does it and saves on your postage!

I'll still act as Postmistress if there are no volunteers. Perhaps we could start by saying who's in and who's out.

Comment

I am in. I can also do both circles if needs be. I have saved herb seeds but wasn't fussed about seeds back.

Comment

Once again, NG, you're a Star

Thank you for "volunteeering"
                    I'll take my name off the Seed Circles and leave it to you to do the necessary/

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanksss

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      I have a confession to make..I haven't saved any seeds this year. Just didn't have anything to save.
                      Its the same for the Herb circle that I was going to run

My question to you all is - would somebody else like to run this or both Circles as it seems daft sending the seeds to me when I have nothing to contribute. Better that one of you does it and saves on your postage!

I'll still act as Postmistress if there are no volunteers. Perhaps we could start by saying who's in and who's out.
                      ..I haven't saved much either! But Im happy to be postmistress!

Could join them up with the Tom, chilli and bean circles....save on postage?

#oops...sorry didn't read NGs post! I'm happy either way!
                      Last edited by Scarlet; 25-10-2017, 09:22 PM.

Comment

That's great NG, thank you I've been a bit early in packing mine, but just wanted to clear all the pots of seeds off the window sills.

Comment

1. Norfolkgrey - Incarvillea, Calendula - Snow Princess, Sweet Pea - Percy Thrower
                          2. Sparrow100 - dahlia, cosmos, cerinthe, nigella
                          3. Scarlet - rudbeckia and monbretia
                          4. WPG - Thalictrum aquilegiafolium, himilayan blue poppy, snapdragon liberty crimson, erigeron karviniskanus, clary blue denim and aquilegia double winky

Just checking who is in and if anyone else wants to join. I will close the circle the circle on Mon 13th Nov. One variety is acceptable if that is all you have
                          Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 14-11-2017, 04:33 PM.

Comment

This circle is now closed for this year. There are 4 in the circle and pm's have been sent

Comment

Mine are bagged up and ready to go.....I'm just waiting on some herbs not done very well unfortunately.
                              I've got the red monbretia, goats beard, black snakeroot - which is a fabulous plant and also Veronica. These seeds are like dust, I've checked that there are seeds in there with my magnifying googles, believe me there are some in there probably best sprinkle those in with some sand to spread evenly?

I've also got lupins again if anyone is interested? Different plants....I just don't want to spend time bagging up if you don't need any.

Comment

Originally posted by WPG View Post
                                Yes, they were started from seed in early spring three years ago, and have flowered since their second year. The seed heads had very few seeds in, so I'm afraid there's only a pinch of seed for each.

I'm fairly sure I used the fridge to start them off - sown on surface of a seed tray with thin vermiculite on top, put into a plastic bag and left at the back of the fridge for a couple of weeks. Then I left the tray in the cold frame outside and the seedlings appeared a few weeks later.

I do remember the seedlings were tiny and didn't seem to get any bigger for quite a long time. Most of them either dampened off or got eaten by slugs, so I only got two viable plants in the end, but I do love them. When planted out they like a damp and semi shade position. The slugs seem to love them too, so I keep copper bands around the base. Other than that they've been very low maintenance plants.
                                Hi,
                                I have been signposted to you. I will be trying to grow the blue poppy this year. Is vermiculite organic?
                                Or can I use any acidic compost?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X