Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there somewhere on here that best explains how to 'save' seeds from my tomatoes, please...?

I was going to save some last year, and ended up eating them all...!
    Last edited by SusieG; 24-07-2016, 02:35 PM.
    ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
    a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
    - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

• http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...-qs_88125.html
      Links in first post'

With pictures
      Bush Tomato Seeds to buy in the UK from The Real Seed Catalogue

Comment

• Ahem, proudly presenting....the only indoor sunrise bumblebee truss before blight showed on the main stem. Aren't they pretty? Here's hoping that there are plenty of seeds!

Attached Files
        http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

• Lovely Sparrow

Comment

• Lovely Sparrow! Fingers crossed for lots of seeds!!

Comment

• Hi all. Is it too late to join? I'm only growing 2 non-f1 varieties I'm afraid but one in particular is really lovely and I would like to share. #1= Black Krim a black/red/green shouldered tasty beefsteak (is nice but perhaps others are growing) #2 = "Russian 117 036" which is a yellow/golden oxheart often blushed and streaked with red that also runs through the flesh. I think this one is really beautiful on the plant, but also sliced, it is very meaty with few seeds and plus I really enjoy the flavour.

Black Krim is commercially available but I haven't noticed the yellow one for sale in UK, it was given to me by a friend who got it from another friend, and I don't know the origin beyond that. I'm not hugely worried about receiving seeds as I don't have a lot of space for sowing or growing lots of varieties but it is a lovely tomato and I think people would enjoy.

Comment

• Originally posted by ConfusedRhubarb View Post
                "Russian 117 036" which is a yellow/golden oxheart often blushed and streaked with red that also runs through the flesh. I think this one is really beautiful on the plant, but also sliced, it is very meaty with few seeds and plus I really enjoy the flavour...it was given to me by a friend who got it from another friend, and I don't know the origin beyond that...but it is a lovely tomato and I think people would enjoy.
                Sounds like it could be similar to this one?
                Orange Russian 117 - Tatiana's TOMATOBase

Available in UK from Nicky's:
                https://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/pro...7-seeds-p-3996
                Last edited by Chris11; 03-08-2016, 01:45 PM. Reason: adding Nicky's link

Comment

• They sound fab Mr Rhubarb!

Comment

• Originally posted by ConfusedRhubarb View Post
                    Hi all. Is it too late to join? I'm only growing 2 non-f1 varieties I'm afraid but one in particular is really lovely and I would like to share. #1= Black Krim a black/red/green shouldered tasty beefsteak (is nice but perhaps others are growing) #2 = "Russian 117 036" which is a yellow/golden oxheart often blushed and streaked with red that also runs through the flesh. I think this one is really beautiful on the plant, but also sliced, it is very meaty with few seeds and plus I really enjoy the flavour.

Black Krim is commercially available but I haven't noticed the yellow one for sale in UK, it was given to me by a friend who got it from another friend, and I don't know the origin beyond that. I'm not hugely worried about receiving seeds as I don't have a lot of space for sowing or growing lots of varieties but it is a lovely tomato and I think people would enjoy.
                    I'l put your name down Mr R..I'm sure you could find room.
                    I grow black krim but ive never heard of russian 117 - have you got any photos?
                    Last edited by Scarlet; 03-08-2016, 09:51 PM.

Comment

• Thanks everyone . Took me a while but here are some photos on the plant and in the kitchen where this one looks like a sliced peach. Difficult to get a wider view of the plant with combo of teeny-tiny GH and triffid-like giant cucumber!

edit to remove doubles of photos. sorry about the orientation of the GH ones folks.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by ConfusedRhubarb; 09-08-2016, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• Love the look of that....though I hope some have seeds?? Do they taste good?

Comment

• Sorry but I am pulling out for this year.

Comment

• have you got blight?

Comment

• blight has reared again in gh1. gh2 was suffering from blight/water issues-ber. Outside toms a few toms aren't what they should be and haven't found any decent tasting ones except black cherry. Just not happy to pass on seeds under the circumstances.

I do however already have blush saved (by some small miracle) if Sparrow struggles.

Comment

• Why don't you put Blush in and I'll go for something else? Or we can combine forces on it? My gh has so far recovered from blight. Sunrise Bumblebee is a washout for seeds though - of 7 tomatoes I have 12 seeds. They don't taste brilliant either. Might be a case of form over function...

There have been WORDS in our house tonight - after strict instructions to eat the red tomatoes not the stripey ones, Mr Sparrow was caught tucking into one of the 2 Berkeley Tie-Dye brought home for seed saving. He is Very Shamefaced.
                                Last edited by sparrow100; 20-08-2016, 10:29 PM.
                                http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X