X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember Dudhi

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...hed_65236.html

Comment

I like bottle gourds, hope one of my mistery plants turns BG, btw you can cook bottle gourd just like courgettes. I use it with lentils, stews, and sweets ..

please let me know if you are fancy about some bottlegourd Indian sweets and dishes NG

Comment

I had some of those borlottis, OH picked them small to go with his egg salad the other day!!! I could murder him some days. The squash plants aren't getting anywhere, just to dry.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfeda View Post
          I like bottle gourds, hope one of my mistery plants turns BG, btw you can cook bottle gourd just like courgettes. I use it with lentils, stews, and sweets ..

please let me know if you are fancy about some bottlegourd Indian sweets and dishes NG
          Any recipes you have would be greatly appreciated - it is a triffid plant and it looks like the squash are now kicking in I only need a few for seed

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          I had some of those borlottis, OH picked them small to go with his egg salad the other day!!! I could murder him some days. The squash plants aren't getting anywhere, just to dry.
          I think mine sould be called mystery triffids plants. Although they have not got fruit yet they are twice the size of any of my other squash plants and the limbs are now going upwards in mid air I don't water the veg patch either .

Comment

I always grow tromba, they climb well. Probably some variety that will climb. I'm on clay soil, we haven't had much rain all summer to be honest, water butts have been empty all summer. Even some of my sunflowers have died as they are too dry. Though we do have light rain today.

Comment

all images from below link looks tempting

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bo...iw=639&bih=589

Comment

Here are some recent piccies of the triffids

Attached Files
                Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 30-08-2015, 07:13 AM.

Comment

I don't suppose anyone recognises the pepper? I did think jalepeno but when gurgled the fruits droop rather than stand upright

Attached Files
                  Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 30-08-2015, 07:25 AM.

Comment

both are bottle gourds? will post my pics soon...hope one of three could be bg's..so that i can save the seed.

btw, bottle gourd seeds looks totally different than any squash seeds

have you choosen any recipe yet nfg? let me know what does your tastebuds like..so that I can suggest few

Comment

both are bottle gourds? will post my pics soon...hope one of three could be bg's..so that i can save the seed.
                      The first two pics are regular squash of some description. The last two pics in the first post are my bg. The bg is very distinctive. Large soft stroke-able leaves, rampant growers, pretty white flowers that open at night as they are pollinated by moths

btw, bottle gourd seeds looks totally different than any squash seeds
                      The seeds have distinctive veins down them. I did try to take a photo some time ago but my camera isn't good enough

have you choosen any recipe yet nfg? let me know what does your tastebuds like..so that I can suggest few
                      I was going to try dudhi halwa with a tweek. I would try one of the many curries but I am more of a 'bung what ever is lying around in the slow cooker' curry type of person. I will be waiting a while as yet as the bg in the pic is the only sizeable one and I am leaving that for seed.
                      Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 30-08-2015, 11:31 AM.

Comment

@@@'bung what ever is lying around in the slow cooker' curry type of person

me too... they can all be made to simple cooking too.

Comment

Norfolkgrey has saved seeds from some of the Italian Mystery seeds and they are now in the VSP. Thank you.
                          Borlotti beans, sunflowers and marigolds/tagetes to keep the memory of the 93 year old Italian lady alive

I hang my head in shame as I didn't sow any The good news is, I still have them and can sow them next year - with a better idea of what to expect!

How did the rest of you get on?

Comment

Ditto, VC, but like you, still got them. There's hope ......
                            Nannys make memories

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
                              I don't suppose anyone recognises the pepper? I did think jalepeno but when gurgled the fruits droop rather than stand upright

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58918[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]58919[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]58920[/ATTACH]
                              Is the pepper a sweet one or a chilly? The lady was from a particular area where if famous enough for chilly. And I remember the pepperoncino di soverato or calabrese grow upright.

Comment

^^^^it was a sweet pepper (genuinely sweet, no heat what so ever)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X