Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not something I have to room to play with this year, but I'm definitely tempted to give it a go next year, will save some seed from the most vigorous/resistant plants this year and try it out!

Comment

Just read this, it's pretty interesting: Potato Breeding Overview

Comment

Originally posted by Snow View Post
        Awesome, thanks Polly. Well, I love Vivaldi, good all rounder, but I'll be happy with whatever you send me. A lot of fun in not knowing quite what will grow. I eat potatoes almost every day and I dream of growing the ultimate potato.
        Me too!
        With blight resistance!!!
        Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Bohobumble View Post
          It's not something I have to room to play with this year, but I'm definitely tempted to give it a go next year, will save some seed from the most vigorous/resistant plants this year and try it out!
          You could start some seeds later in the year, grow them on in plant pots to produce some mini tubers and then overwinter them. You would have a head start on next year and a bigger crop
          Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Hi, poly could I possible get some seed of you??

Comment

Hi Bonnieisle. Please have a read of http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...nce_76437.html
              In essence, you need to have been a member of the Forum for one month and to have made 50 posts before you can participate in Seed swaps and offers.
              So stick around, tell us more about your garden and ask a few questions and you'll have 50 posts in a flash.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                Hi Bonnieisle. Please have a read of http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...nce_76437.html
                In essence, you need to have been a member of the Forum for one month and to have made 50 posts before you can participate in Seed swaps and offers.
                So stick around, tell us more about your garden and ask a few questions and you'll have 50 posts in a flash.
                Hi, veggiechicken!

Aww! Sorry didn't even think to look! Will need to think up lots to say haha!

Thanks
                David

Comment

I'm sure you can do it, David

Comment

Just found this

Hi, I have just found this and it looks as if there's quite a lot of interest in TPS. I have grown one year's seeds from Desiree and the results were very interesting. Now someone has given me some heritage varieties to grow, so I'm hoping to have some fun types of seed next year. I also have seed from Highland Burgundy Red, which I am happy to swap as and when I qualify with time/contributions etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Bohobumble View Post
                      Just read this, it's pretty interesting: Potato Breeding Overview
                      Thanks for sharing this, it was very interesting.
                      There is an error on page 60 which I wouldn't normally comment on, but since there are a lot of new growers out there who might read this book just out of interest.
                      Glyphosate is not a fungicide, and will not save your Potatoes from Blight!

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence View Post
                        There is an error on page 60 which I wouldn't normally comment on, but since there are a lot of new growers out there who might read this book just out of interest.
                        Dead spuds don't get blight! Lol
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I'd love to try growing some true seed potatoes if anyone has any to swap for something?

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence View Post
                            Found the 'page 60' you referenced after following a couple of links, well worth clarifying for those not familiar with glyphosate

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                            Dead spuds don't get blight! Lol
                            Very true, I think that was the point in the above referenced article/link. Glyphosate is useful against volunteers which may harbour blight!

Comment

Which varieties produce seeds?

If you want to start TPS one way is to buy conventional seed tubers of varieties that are known to set lots of berries. There is information on berry production on the UK Potato Council Variety Database. So you might have Desiree, Blue Belle, Highland Burgundy Red this year, and all sorts of possibilities next year...

Comment

I'd love to let them fruit so i can grow some from true seed but I'm worried about my child eating them

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X