Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All I've managed to save in any quantity is Hungarian Black Wax hot pepper and Doux d'Espagne pepper (aka Sweet Spanish Mammoth)

The later tomatoes all got a raging case of Botrytis and the outside ones got blighted so couldn't save any

If anyone has grown any Kibitz tomatoes I'd love some seed from them again - they were great but no seeds saved

Comment

This year I grew ten different dwarf french beans, and the two I was most pleased with, and want to grow again, are going to go into the seed circle.

- Aramis: a "princess" bean, with stringless, tender, straight and thin pods, and in an amazing quantity for such a small and seemingly delicate plant - an instant favourite. Tiny seeds! A rare variety from G.Bohl's private seed archive (preserving almost 3,000 toms and more than 700 bean varieties)

- Redland's Green Leaf: I got this from a very kind Grape last year, another very pleasant surprise, very prolific!

Perhaps not enough seeds for everyone but if anyone's interested in a curiosity, I can also throw in some

- Jumbo: another variety I got from G.Bohl. Very long, flat pods, stringless, great flavour. Pods grow so long and heavy that they touch the ground, so they need staking and some straw underneath to keep them dry. Very peculiar for a dwarf french bean, not really practical but Other Half loved the flavour so I'll have to grow that one again as well

Pole beans:
      - Snowcap: for shelling. Very beautiful and large seeds, and I'm very pleased with the harvest I got from merely three plants on a single pole.

Tomatoes will also go in but I'm still in the process of saving seeds so still don't know which ones I'll have enough of - will add them later.

Oh and that kale of course!
      - Altmärker Braunkohl (aka Roter Krauskohl), rare old German variety from the Altmark region, grows really high, with variable leaf colour: green to red. I only saved from reddish plants. Lower leaves were used for livestock, topmost ones for the kitchen, and the fresh young sprouts in spring as well.
      Last edited by nellie-m; 29-09-2013, 08:30 PM. Reason: added kale
      ...bonkers about beans... and now a proud Nutter!

Comment

That's 25 varieties that have been listed as 'saved' so any others please confirm what you have and one day, I really will update the first post. I have them all written down in my book though!

Comment

I've got white gem parsnip, and some tomatoes ( not sure which varieties yet!- will look tonight) and some habanero. The plant is in my dining room, only house plant I have - is that isolated enough?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            I've got white gem parsnip, and some tomatoes ( not sure which varieties yet!- will look tonight) and some habanero. The plant is in my dining room, only house plant I have - is that isolated enough?
            Yup i think so!

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
              All I've managed to save in any quantity is Hungarian Black Wax hot pepper and Doux d'Espagne pepper (aka Sweet Spanish Mammoth)

The later tomatoes all got a raging case of Botrytis and the outside ones got blighted so couldn't save any

If anyone has grown any Kibitz tomatoes I'd love some seed from them again - they were great but no seeds saved
              I've saved some again this year so depending on quantities I can add to the seed circle. Or alternatively just send you some before next Jan/Feb.
              The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
              William M. Davies

Comment

Originally posted by Paulieb View Post
                I've saved some again this year so depending on quantities I can add to the seed circle. Or alternatively just send you some before next Jan/Feb.
                YAY - thank you

Comment

I have angelica seed if any one is interested, a beautiful plant, and it grew well and strong in its second year. Actually managed to preserve some stems this year too! I'm afraid that I didn't manage to save any of aquilla herb I intended. I Can do some sweet pea currant tomato seed, and did do some peacevine toms but will take those out as they seem to have been a popular choice (they are delicious!). Sorry to have been amiss in my contact! I have saved other things on a smaller scale but they are for a Leeds circle so I don't have enough to go round Im afraid. Is this enough? I have loads of angelica and sweet pea currant though.
                  http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

Absolutely fine - love Angelica

Comment

• Okay, don't have the HSL catalogue in front of me but I've saved Starley Red FB (think it's called that, will check catalogue and confirm).

Comment

• Originally posted by jackyspratty View Post
                        and did do some peacevine toms but will take those out as they seem to have been a popular choice (they are delicious!).
                        I haven't saved any Peacevine - I'm saving Ararat Flamed (I hope).

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                          I haven't saved any Peacevine - I'm saving Ararat Flamed (I hope).
                          Ok , I thought a couple of people had said Peacevine....will check I have enough as osme are dibbed for the Leeds circle. Should be ok I think

Comment

• FrostyFreckle has some Peacevine seeds too They are nice toms and I'd never heard of them before this year!

Comment

• Ok I will have some too.....just saved some more...its very prolific! 2 plants going crazy i this late warmth! I also have lollo bionda lettuce seed, did very well over summer, tasty and beautiful too!

Comment

• going to dry out my Nepal tomato seeds and waiting on the sharks fin melon. also Might have some dudhi seed but wont know for a couplke of weeks till I open them. Fingers crossed. Dissapointingly my next door neighbour but 2 grew marrows so there is a possibility they have crossed with my Maltese marrow from HSL as both are c. pepo. How far apart should they have been? will have naga seeds too

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X