This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poppy_lillysmum View Post
    HI, just found this page that show how to grow sweet potatos.
    Unusual Vegetables. Sweet potato.
    thanks for that,think will give these a try

Comment

I bought mine last year from an ad. in the Telegraph, 9 plants and big sacks to grow them in...they did really well an gave loads of pots. I saved 3 small tubers that were too small to eat and tried to over winter them but only 1 is still growing. still, i is better than non.

Comment

Bramble- those look good!

My poor spindly whole potato has 3 long 'stems' with leaves at the tips.
        Don't look very exciting actually- I'm strting to thing your way with plugs would be much better!

Let us know how you get on with them!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

All potted up and looking good thanks.

Comment

Where'd you source them from? Ebay or Dobies?

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
              Where'd you source them from? Ebay or Dobies?
              the pot ready plants came from suttons.

Comment

They have some Beauregard Improved Sweet Potato Plug Plants free at Ideal World, just pay p+p of £4.99.

Is it worth buying these now or is it too late in the year?

http://tinyurl.com/3yvkqte

Last edited by 21again; 08-07-2010, 10:37 PM.
                Hi. Hi. We've removed your signature. If you have any issues with this, please contact one of the Moderators.

Comment

I've read they need a long growing season, so I guess it depends on how developed they are?

I bought 10 a while ago, as above - they're grown massivly, but I still think I bought them too late. We'll see though, if I get any sort of sucess I'll get them really early on next year.

Comment

I had 5 Beauregard and 5 T65 which weren't delivered until mid to late May and were very slow to start off but now although not overly tall they look healthy and strong growing. July in Scotland has been lots of heavy rain and strong winds so I havethem in potato bags in a poly greenhouse so they get what sun there is at present. I've not grown them before so hope they will do well.

Comment

Originally posted by Fernw View Post
                      I had 5 Beauregard and 5 T65 which weren't delivered until mid to late May and were very slow to start off but now although not overly tall they look healthy and strong growing. July in Scotland has been lots of heavy rain and strong winds so I havethem in potato bags in a poly greenhouse so they get what sun there is at present. I've not grown them before so hope they will do well.
                      They won't really get tall at all, they just creep along the ground unless you train them up something. I'm winding mine round some canes to keep them under control.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thanks Alison, I'll bear that in mind when they start getting out of control.

Comment

Ok you can all laugh at me if you like...

I assumed potato when sprouting goes into ground like normal spuds.
                          It was only today that I noticed it was growing like a climber, hence my reading of the thread.

So, have i done the right thing, should I be pulling slips off and potting them up?
                          The vine is a good 10" long but it has taken ages to get to that stage. Like 4 months!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                            ( just make sure you buy the orange skinned ones- not creamy/yellow!)

Why not the cream skinned varieties Nicos ? I am just curious as I brought a few different tubers back from Madeira & some are cream skinned
                            He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X