Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mid April onwards Shirl.

Comment

Thanks, thought maybe they should be planted now along with my butternut squash. Will hold fire a couple weeks.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

I've been saving seeds of these (open pollinated) from a supermarket squash for 3 years now. They come true - lovely squash.
        Last edited by Flummery; 24-03-2007, 03:00 PM.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Can you advise best ways to use them please Flummery. I tried butternut squash for the first time last year (cooking not growing) and I chop them and roast them - growing those for the first time this year along with Piglets carnival ones and after more adventurous recipes.
          Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 24-03-2007, 03:13 PM.
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

Didnt read the post for when to sow the carnival squash. Sowed mine along with the butternuts and was pleased to see they have just poked their heads out today. Hope this will be ok. Read they should have been sown in April

Comment

Sowed some of mine on Tuesday and they have germinated nicely in the propagator today. Well ahead of the other squash I planted at the same time!
              ~
              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Planted mine this week too, and all germinated. The Butternut sprinter germinated in the same time. Looking forward to them Piglet.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

They are quite aggressive growers! Last night mine were just poking through the soil, this morning they were about 3" high! Got them all transplanted today before they went through the top of the propagator.
                  ~
                  Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                  ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

do you still have carnival squash,we would love to trade for some,if so what's on your wish list?

Comment

Piglet, my carnival squash made lovely big plants but not many fruits survived. I have ended up with one squash, the size of a grapefruit. It is all yellow, not part green like your pics. How do I know when it is ready to cut and eat or store please? I have not had a good year on squashes all round - only about 6 courgettes from 3 plants which I found disappointing. Perhaps it was my growing method (10 litre bucket each with chicken poop and tomato feed), or maybe the weather. Will try again next year anyway.
                      Happy Gardening,
                      Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X