Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

having read peoples comments and seeing the votes I find myself agreeing with the people who sugest a time scale of a month instead of votes, yes a scammer could still scam but they would have to wait a month before they would get anything, I think most are opportunists and won't bother waiting a month on the off chance they may get seeds
    Thought For The Day
    If a plum tomato breaks the law when it’s young
    Would it’s criminal past ketchup with it later?

Comment

Re-reading some of this thread I began to notice the number of posts some members of the vine have made - often several thousand and sometime even 10000 and more!
      I know I'm well below 200, I don't thnk I've managed to offer any gardening advice because others have so much more experience, and I've only sent JAs to a few folk because I haven't managed to save seeds from my plants and the only packet ones I have are years out of date and I don't think anyone would want them.

SO, I guess I'm a bit of a scrounger as far as this thread is concerned as I have benefited from the contents of some SAEs (not too many I hope.)
      However, I only joined the vine for advice and the seed swaps were a wonderful surprise.
      Is the problem of scroungers looking for free seeds a big one and causing more than simple annoyance and irritation?
      If so, then all the suggestions about not showing the seed swap bit for a while might help and perhaps not letting people 'swap'until they have first sent a seed parcel succcessfully to a recipient.
      I do hope you don'tdecide to do away with the SAE - for benighted folk like myself it would be sad!

Hanging my head in shame - but really grateful for the Vine (and its moderators)
      I really hope to do better this year as I shall have a bit more time for gardening at home
      Wars against nations are fought to change maps; wars against poverty are fought to map change – Muhammad Ali

Comment

I find it rather sad that we are having this poll at all. I visit the site quite a few times during the day and like to feel I'm part of a community Surely as such we share advice seeds whatever and there will always be the odd person who takes rather than gives but if these people ask we can surely decide if we want to send to them and if they offer a sae they are the ones who are paying the price ultimately. I love reading the comments and listen to the advice feeling a bit inadequate in offering any Please lets keep up the true spirit of this site. Friendly,caring and sharing.

Comment

Not sure if it would work but would renaming the thread to something the common googler would not enter. Not "seed swap" but more on the lines of "The Capsule" or "The pod" something that the average searcher would not google. I appreciate it may not be a feasable solution & may just be a bizzare suggestion.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Good idea there Bigmallly. I'm sure we could find something. How about - 'No Robbery' (Fair exchange is ...!)
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Um.... 'ovule exchange'? 'Nucleus trade'? 'Kernel switch'?

Guess who got a thesarus for Christmas!

Woof
              Having one child makes you a parent, having two makes you a referee...

Comment

Originally posted by mendacious dog View Post
                Um.... 'ovule exchange'? 'Nucleus trade'? 'Kernel switch'?
                Deffinately........I would never google "ovule".........but you get my drift.
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                  Not sure if it would work but would renaming the thread to something the common googler would not enter. .........
                  Given that The Powers That Be have spent a great deal of effort on the web optimisation thingy just so that the GYO pops up to the top on searches - I'm not sure if they are going to want to hide their light under a bushel.

GYO wants to drive traffic to the website, I think, not discourage it.
                  Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 02-02-2010, 02:07 PM. Reason: Clarity!

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                    Given that The Powers That Be have spent a great deal of effort on the web optimisation thingy just so that the GYO pops up to the top on searches - I'm not sure if they are going to want to hide their light under a bushel.

GYO wants to drive traffic to the website, I think, not discourage it.
                    Then they are the victims of their own succes & cannot complain when things are not going as they should.

Comment

I'm having second thoughts about this thread now - are we making too much of all this, as has been said above?

We are all grown ups and able to decide if someone is being a bit grabby - we can ignore them - just as we do when 'people' spam us at our private email addresses
                      aka
                      Suzie

Comment

I've voted 50
                        I think the Vine is about being part of a community and to belong we need to communicate. Can't be doing with me me me peeps.
                        And yup Piskie- we can decide for ourselves, but I like to be left feeling helpful and not used....
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
                          I'm having second thoughts about this thread now-
                          Me too.....but it wasn't for the lack of trying.

Comment

I stand by my previous opinion with the addendum:

I wouldnt mind sending an SAE if I was in the market for more seeds.

And I wouldnt be all that much bothered if someone did scam me for a few seeds without returning any. They are just seeds after all.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

I voted for 25,the length of membership should be considered-a month.
                              I had a few seed swaps and never had any problems with scroungers.

Comment

I have done a fair few seed swaps (if I'm going to be honest 100+) and have been scammed once. The only time I've been scammed I did think something was iffy but went ahead - I had never even heard of seed beggars etc Now if anyone was to PM me direct and I thought greedy little seed beggar I would tell them to F Off. I think making Grapes aware that seed beggars exist is important - ignorance is not bliss.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X