This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heritage peas

Earlier in the year I was lucky enough to have been given (by another grape) 4 types of pea that the HSL were trialling this year. I've also grown a couple of other types too this year.

I have followed HSL guidance on growing and harvesting and hope all is as it should be. As they are all tall types, I thought about 10 seeds per variety gives enough to have some to eat and some to save.

Lancashire lad tall purple podded pea with gorgeous pale pink and magenta flowers.

Hugh’s huge, very tall type, good cropper with white flowers

Alderman tall growing lovely tasting peas (this variety is still available comercially)

Simpson’s Special, this was lovely straight from the pod and cooked (but only once!)

Clarkes Betony Blue (tall type) with shorter purple pods, fat and full, again beautiful bi coloured flowers

Golden sweet (mange tout) originally bought from Real Seeds, tall, tasty yellow pods (not my favourite mange-tout to eat, but very beautiful to grow and pods are easy to see and pick)

Purple podded Good cropper, tall growing beautiful purple bi coloured flowers and purple pods

I don’t really need more seeds, but I love trying different varieties so I’d be interested in growing other heritage peas and/or beans or unusual tomatoes or chillies or anything a bit unusual really. Would like to swap, no probs if you don’t have anything, but a SAE would be welcome.
    Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

You have some beautiful varieties there, I grow some of them myself as I love the look of them. Funny you should say that the Golden Mange tout aren't one of your favourites as I find them one of the nicest I've ever eaten and they seem to keep crisp for a lot longer than some of the other varieties I've grown. Last year was the first year I've had a lottie and I grew a load of them there. Got so many admiring comments that now half the plots on our site have seeds ready for next year. Don't need anymore myself but it'll make a lovely Christmas present for somebody.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I've just myself this minute sown my spare batch of Hugh's huge, Alderman and Gravedigger peas in the greenhouse for an early harvest.

Comment

Taste is so individual, I just wished I liked eating them more because they are so gorgeous in flower and pod. But I'll definitely grow some in with the flowers next year!

Mmmm first peas of the season, my mouth is watering at the thought even if it is a little way off
        Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Originally posted by poly View Post
          Taste is so individual, I just wished I liked eating them more because they are so gorgeous in flower and pod. But I'll definitely grow some in with the flowers next year!

Mmmm first peas of the season, my mouth is watering at the thought even if it is a little way off
          Just a little

My favourite 'first dish of the potato season' dish is broad bean & pea and new potato warm salad; with mayo and pepper....served with salad and something like felafel.
          Last edited by zazen999; 06-12-2009, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Stop, too much worse than being tortured! Roll on the new season
            Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Hi Poly

I would love to try some of your peas please. I will send you a PM :-)

Comment

Poly, I'd love some of your peas, please

I've got some HSL/heritage bean seeds ready to send out - 'Bridgwater' a climbing bean, flat pods splashed with purple, nice as fresh pods, or fresh beans, and dry well too. Also got Yin Yang & Cherokee Trail of Tears climbing, and 'Brighstone' dwarf (which are very similar pods to the Bridgwater but the beans are more kidney shaped).

PM me your address if you fancy any of them

Comment

Thanks jilly, pm also sent.
                  Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Hi Sarzwix, I am interested in either or both 'Bridgewater' and 'Brighstone'

Sending a pm
                    Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Hi would love to be added to your to try more varieties and to keep them goimg .Thank you

Comment

Hi If you still have some seeds available, I would like some please for an sae. Will pm you. Thanks
                        Last edited by SarzWix; 18-12-2009, 10:46 AM.
                        Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

Arrived this morning - thank you :-)

Comment

I tried purple podded this year. The flowers are stunning but I didn't care for the peas much. There were plenty of them but they had a bitter taste to them. I might grow a few again this year though just for the flowers. The chooks can have the peas
                            Urban Escape Blog

Comment

PM sent.

I have the tall variety "Telephone" if you are interested.

Andy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X