This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eschalion seeds?

Does anyone know of a supplier for eschalion (banana) shallot seeds, have tried all the usual suspects with no luck. don't want sets as i don't seem to have any luck with these.

thanks.
    Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
    Bob Dylan

I think that these are what lots of peeps tried growing last year as pigletwillie's shallots? There's a big thread on the Veggies board and pw or others who grew them might have seed spare? (We ate all ours - well there was only about 10! )
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Kernowyon, you can't grow them from sets as they just run to seed, is you pm me your address I will post you out a pinch in the new year.

Comment

thanks very much PW, have sent you a PM, the thread made some interesting reading, are you planning on doing the same thing this year?
        Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
        Bob Dylan

Comment

Thompson & Morgan do red F1 hybrid shallot seed called Prisma! £1.99 for 75 seeds doesn't seem bad, it's a round shallot though!

I grow Hungarian Ham Onions from seed, both a red version and a white version. These have a wonderful taste, store well (just brought half a dozen of each home from the lottie!)and are quite similar to banana shallots, only bigger!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

They sound interesting Snadger, where did you get them from?

Comment

Until this year I grew prisma shallots from seed, they are very good but as Snadger says, are the traditional round shape.

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                They sound interesting Snadger, where did you get them from?
                Hungary!!!

Do a search on Ebay, Hungary Foods they're called! You'll have to do a search of International sites for items available to UK!

Here you go!

HAM ONIONS * 200 seeds * Hungary * RARITY * on eBay, also Vegetables Fruits, Plants, Seeds, Bulbs, Gardening Plants, Home Garden (end time 07-Jan-08 19:33:55 GMT)
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Ahh forgot the european bit - thats why when I searched they didn't show. I'm trying to control the seed-buying, well at least 'til next year. I've been tempted by the Hungarian toms before now too.

Comment

Hi there...

I did see some echalion seed for sale on the Simpson's Seeds catalogue - Cuisses de Poulet du Pointon.

It's described as the long French type with yellow skin, I was(am) interested myself but have been thinking how to get around that little issue of space & time...

R

Comment

Cuisses de poulet or "chicken leg" echalion are very similar to banana shallots but are not cylindrical, more, well chicken leg shape.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X