Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Peppadew seeds

Hello everyone,
    I am a new member. Just found this great site.
    I am looking for some peppadew seeds.
    I have a big inventory of mostly heirloom tomato seeds to trade.
    If anyone is interested, please let me know.
    Thanks
    http://tomatoaddict.blogspot.com/

Welcome to the grapevine tomatoaddict. I can't help you with the peppadew seeds, sorry. We have a few tomato fans here - look out for Phreddy.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Can't help you with your pepperdews, Tomatoaddict, but welcome to the Vine!

...or Biscombe
      Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 07-11-2007, 03:59 PM. Reason: Extra info...

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine tomatoaddict. Sorry to echo the others and say I can't help with the Peppadews - are they hot or mild ones?
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Hi Tomato Addict,

Welcome to the vine, you will like it here

Can't help woth the peppadew but I am sure someone will be along soon.

Mandy
          Last edited by mandyballantyne; 07-11-2007, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the vine tomatoaddict. I have Peppadew seeds saved from my own plants. I've been told they won't come true to type from seed but if you want to try you're welcome. PM me to arrange something. Here's a pic of the plant - I had to bring it in from the greenhouse to ripen !
            Attached Files

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I notice you are in the US, Tomatoaddict. This might cause a few problems. Someone discovered that we need a seed exporting license to send seed over the the US. You can't just shove seeds in an envelope and hope either, because they rattle! Best of luck in your search.
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks Flummery.
                I trade with people from all over the world. Only one time did I have something taken by the postal Nazis here in the U.S. Basil seeds of all things. It's amazing how clever you can be sending seeds. I just sent a boatload of garlic to France and declared it as rosary beads. LOL.
                It got there fine. I guess it's always a risk but one worth taking for me.
                http://tomatoaddict.blogspot.com/

Comment

Tomatoaddict,
                  I am living in South Africa and you get three types of Peppadew as far as I know:
                  The red and yelow mild one and the red hot one. The mild ones is mild without the seeds. Eat the seeds and you will know about it.
                  The mild ones is not available on the market to buy as seed, but I do no not believe it. You get some cherry piquant tasting types (Sweet baby or sweet cherry types) that tastes exactly the same.
                  The hot type is freely available on the market.
                  see this ad:
                  Peppadew (Seed Pack) Price - Jump Shopping - South Africa
                  It may be scarce now because our winter is about three to four months away but during September it will be freely available. Some places may still have it. However seasons in some parts of our country is so mild that we can plant some veggies right through the year.
                  Regards

Johan

Comment

Thanks for that Johan, as an ex South African I have a friend coming to visit in June and guess what's going to be in her luggage.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomatoaddict View Post
                      It's amazing how clever you can be sending seeds. ... I guess it's always a risk but one worth taking for me.

I don't care about the legality issue, what about introducing pests and diseases? Viruses in seeds? Invasive non-native species?
                      Last year's goji berry scare was caused by "foreign" plants coming into the UK, and stuff like Japanese Knotweed ? Be very careful what you are importing peeps.
                      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 26-03-2009, 07:49 AM.
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I can say one thing,
                        The integrity of the producers (BallStraathof) of the mentioned seed is above all reasonable suspicion. I previously imported four small packets of seed for which I had to get an import permit as the varieties was not on our official variety list. In my research for what to do and how to I found out that there are legislation and a lot of schlep about how seed producers' seed and seed sellers' seed must be virus and sickness free. Our State institutions collect samples of each batch and that is being tested with certificates that must be issued.
                        There are farmers in South Africa that still buy open pollinated seed and none of these companies will survive if they even once sell "polluted" seed.
                        I buy Kirchoff (BallStraathof) seed now for several years and I still prefer their trade name above those of their competition. They not only put manufacturing dates, but expiry dates as well and that alone is very important for me. I never bought something in about 22 years of vegetable gardening that was sick under this brand name.
                        So Two Sheds, imho you can rest assure seed from this source will be clean.

BTW tomatoes are not native species of your country, but I bet you plant them.

The only fault you will ever find perhaps is that of every 100 seeds, perhaps 1 or 2 will not germinate, but that you will find even from your country's best reputation seed sellers as well.
                        Regards.
                        Last edited by Johan; 26-03-2009, 06:09 PM.
                        Regards

Johan

Comment

The majority of the (peppadew) seeds offered by the south african seed merchants , are not the correct variety, in fact nothing like the real thing.

The real (Peppadew) variety, is rarely obtainable outside of the area of africa where it is grown, as the company that first grew it threaten legal action to anyone they trying to grow it and have applied for patent rights, and all sorts of methods and dirty tactics to stop people from growing it, with menacing threatening behaviour, all the Peppadew that they grow in their fields are painstakingly de-seeded and discarded by hand, before packing and selling the products in either jars-whole , or in sauces etc.

Despite all that and all their threats and rantings, some of the real peppadew seeds found their way off the fields on their large pepper growing estate, and were distributed to several parts of the world for a suitable fee to the poor field workers-collectors were eager to help the poor underpaid workers have a slight improvement to their lives and a better standard of living.

As a result of that- there are now several small private sources of genuine seed available in the world if you know where to look for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomatoaddict View Post
                            I just sent a boatload of garlic to France and declared it as rosary beads.
                            coals to Newcastle?
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Please may I remind all new Grapes that coming onto the Vine and begging for seeds [esp within your first post] will result in the post being deleted, and continued seed begging will result in your profile going the same way.

Grapes with seeds are MORE THAN happy to share with other Grapes, but become part of the community first.

There is a post in the Seed Swap Board that details this issue in a little more detail.....

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ead_19049.html

Thank you Grapes and future Grapes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X