Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saffron. Who has grown and what were your results?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saffron. Who has grown and what were your results?

Has anyone here grown, or tried to grow Saffron and how does it react in the winter months?

I have a greenhouse and i had considered about buying some Saffron bulbs so i can start growing my own.
    The thing is, i would like to keep growing them each season but i am concerned that with our climate, whether they would survive even when placed into a greenhouse to protect them.

Also, what results have some of you had from growing Saffron?

Now that sounds interesting!

I haven't grown it, but now I REALLY want to!
    GROWING SAFFRON - James Wong's Homegrown Revolution Blog
    http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

They are a type of crocus. They are hardy. They were grown in the 16th/17th century in the fields around Saffron Walden. I have a few in the front garden that flower every year without any special treatment.
      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
      Endless wonder.

Comment

You only get 3 stamens or "threads" per flower, and only one flower per corm, so not a good return quantity wise, but of course the flower is pretty too.
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
          You only get 3 stamens or "threads" per flower, and only one flower per corm, so not a good return quantity wise, but of course the flower is pretty too.
          Yes, that's the thing that i first noticed about them before i found out that the pictures i had been looking at were actually saffron.
          They are a very pretty flower indeed and i think they would look brilliant in my front garden.
          Not to mention that i can store the threads for later use in cooking.

Comment

I think you need a fairly light soil for them, they also I think like to get "baked" by the sun to do well. The baking must refer to the ground as in the summer they are below ground and no leaves, these appear in autumn as do the flowers.

I had some and think I still do but the ground is too heavy so they do not do that well. I think for the last 2 years I have seen leaves but not a flower.

Comment

We have hundreds of Crocus in the garden so I have thought about growing them before, if anyone finds a good source for the bulbs, in terms of price and reliability of supplier, please post a link.
              My allotment in pictures

Comment

Originally posted by RaptorUK View Post
                if anyone finds a good source for the bulbs
                Crocus sell them

Buy saffron crocus bulbs Crocus sativus: Delivery by Crocus.co.uk

I'll get my coat
                K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
                  Thanks, good place to start from . . .
                  My allotment in pictures

Comment

Thanks, good place to start from . . .
                    Crocus have a reputation for Quality, rather than Price ... if you are planting a lot then you might want to shop around for a price

I have had very good quality bulbs from Anglia Bulbs (not bought Crocus from them) , and I have found their price very reasonable. They sell Saffron Crocus for Autumn planting, so won't have any for sale now, but looks like they are a fair bit cheaper than Crocus:

Crocus Sativus (saffron crocus) - Anglia Bulb Company - Flower Bulbs Online from Anglia Bulbs - Importers of Quality Flower Bulbs
                    Last edited by Kristen; 08-03-2014, 01:02 PM.
                    K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

We have hundreds of Crocus in the garden so I have thought about growing them before, if anyone finds a good source for the bulbs, in terms of price and reliability of supplier, please post a link.
                      Suttons seeds also sell the bulbs but overall, Anglia bulbs has the better price for the extra £3.
                      Saffron Crocus Bulbs - Suttons Seeds and Plants

Comment

If you would like to produce 1lb of saffron you will need 75000 crocus... explains the price tag i suppose!!

Comment

Sooo reading this thread, reminds me. I just binned a load of bulbs from digging one of my borders... wondered what they were - and now I know I knew they were crocus, but meh!

I'll be rummaging through our council compost caddy later it looks like!!

Comment

I grow saffron in a pot in my front garden. I'm in North lancs and they flower every year and produce their wonderful stamens. No special treatment required. (and I have BLACK fingers!)

Comment

I have been growing them for 3yrs now and last year was the first time I got a flower. It was only one but I'm hopeful for more this year.

I did get them on special offer at the time but can't remember where from sorry.
                              My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X