Tesco Birds Eye Chillis

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesco Birds Eye Chillis

I bought a packet of these yesterday. How do I go about sowing some seeds from these. Is it as simple as just taking some seeds and puting them in pots??? Or is there something else I should be doing.

I'd add some compost in with them.

And I'd dry them out for a few days or weeks after removing from the pod.
    Last edited by zazen999; 22-12-2009, 01:53 PM.

Comment

I've grown them straight out of a chilli before, they didn't need drying out. As they are chillies they'll need to be warm and after germination need a reasonable amount of light to grow well.
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I planted some of my own Cherry bombs 2 weeks ago straight from a fresh fruit half an hour off the plant. 100% germination.
        Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
        >
        >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Fresh seeds germinate well, but you need to make sure they're warm enough and have enough light. If you're not ready to sow straight away scrape the seeds out, leave to dry on a piece of kitchen towel and store in a paper bag or envelope.

Comment

Chillies are just like tomatoes there are many ways of germinating and growing them. If you want to study the procees i suggest paper towels, if you just want it to do it own thing just put in a pot or container of warm moist dirt. To gte the seds from fruit i would do what rustylady would do and scraped the seeds out and wash any flesh of this to prevent fungus. Leave them to dry for about an hour and they are ready to be sown.
            Dont judge a plant by it's pot.

Comment

Originally posted by greasyfire View Post
              Chillies are just like tomatoes there are many ways of germinating and growing them. If you want to study the procees i suggest paper towels, if you just want it to do it own thing just put in a pot or container of warm moist dirt. To gte the seds from fruit i would do what rustylady would do and scraped the seeds out and wash any flesh of this to prevent fungus. Leave them to dry for about an hour and they are ready to be sown.
              One thing you don't mention GF is that tomatoes are slightly different from chillies. The jelly-like stuff round the seeds in toms is actually a germination retardent so if you are planting seed from your own toms you should definitely wash all the 'juice' off the seed and dry them otherwise they may rot before they kick in, even using the blotting paper (showing my age again ) method.

Chillies do not contain this chemical, the capsoid itself contains a suppressant which is why very hot chillies can take quite a while to show signs of life.

>

Comment

Beware of birds eating your chillies also they do not feel the heat like we do because the chemical agent in chillies only affects mammals. So birds will happily munch your chillies
                Dont judge a plant by it's pot.

Comment

Originally posted by sarraceniac View Post
                  One thing you don't mention GF is that tomatoes are slightly different from chillies. The jelly-like stuff round the seeds in toms is actually a germination retardent so if you are planting seed from your own toms you should definitely wash all the 'juice' off the seed and dry them otherwise they may rot before they kick in, even using the blotting paper (showing my age again ) method.

Chillies do not contain this chemical, the capsoid itself contains a suppressant which is why very hot chillies can take quite a while to show signs of life.
                  So thats why! I thought they were just being difficult!
                  The Impulsive Gardener

www.theimpulsivegardener.com

Chelsea Uribe Garden Design www.chelseauribe.com

Comment

Yeah I'm getting some Naga's (saved seed frmo Tescos chillis) in next week, there'll be a load of onions going into the propagators and I'm sure I can spare the space to try and grow soem hot monsters....

chrisc

Comment

I sowed the Tesco Birds Eye seeds on the 5th Jan in a heated propagator and have about 80% germination. My GH in in the shade most of the time at this time of the year. One or 2 are just about touching the top of the prop now. Will they be OK on a sunny windowsill. That is when we get sun!!

Comment

Yes. Get them in as much light as possible and I would also pot them up and get them out of the propagator or they will be going leggy.

>

Comment

I'd like to grow some of the bigger sweeter chilis and get them smoked (NOT in a roll-up ) for use in south American recipes. Does anyone know of a supplier for Amcho, Publano, etc?

Comment

These supply them though it's quite late to start sowing chilli seeds, they really need a long growing season.

http://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.u...lli-seeds.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X