Lots of sage - any recipe ideas?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Growem View Post
    These are all great people, thank you and keep it up! Pdblake, do you have a good recipe for sage wine?

Sorry, must have missed this

There's one on my website in the wine celler inder basic white wine recipes.

I was wrong about the 12 months bit too (must have been thinking of something else) this stuff is very drinkable after just 3 months
    Urban Escape Blog

Comment

I put it into meatballs - made with minced pork, parmesan and a smidge of raw garlic - yum
      How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

hi there,

no recipes sorry but you could dry some, twist it into a stick shape and burn as incence...........very relaxing!

h xx

Comment

Sage butter with fresh pasta is a very popular dish in Northern Italy. A quick google found this:

Preparation time: 5 minutes.
          Cooking time: 5 minutes.
          100g butter.
          Bunch of fresh sage leaves
          80g grated Parmesan
          Black pepper.

Wash and dry the sage leaves. Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the sage. Cook very gently over a low flame taking care not to let the butter burn. Pour over cooked pasta and stir through well together with freshly grated parmesan. This super-quick sauce is ideal with 'naked ravioli' (ravioli filling without the pasta) but is also suitable with any short pasta. In this case, drain the cooked pasta keeping back a little of the water. Return the pasta to the saucepan, add the sage and butter and stir over a low heat for a minute.

Remove from the heat and stir in a good helping of grated Parmesan.

The sauce should look smooth and creamy; if it has dried out too much, add a few drops of milk or fresh cream. Grind a little black pepper over when serving.
          Have a look at my allotment blog

Comment

Originally posted by Growem View Post
            I gave my sage a trim a couple of months ago and it seemed to appreciate it, it's growing like crazy right now. That's just the regular sage, never mind the green sage and tricolour sage that are also very leafy.

I've made apple and sage jelly before and it's very tasty. However, since apples aren't really in season right now, that's not really the best use of sage I think right now. Does anyone have any other recipes that use up good amounts of sage?
            A lovely marinade for pork is thus in rough quantities:
            2/3 tblspns soy sauce
            fresh SAGE leaves (roughly 1 tblspn)
            Dessert spoon fresh rosemary.
            tspn Coriander.
            Black pepper (1 teaspoon)

I think this is right, but I just bung stuff in there so quantities aren't exact with me. Stick in a resealable bag with some pork medallions then roast/ pan fry - yummy! A gravy can be made from the juices aswell.
            "You never really understand a person until you look at things from their point of view, until you step into their skin and walk around in it" - Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

Comment

New Bud, do you mean coriander powder or seeds?

Thanks everyone for expanding the collection of ideas, it all looks great! I'll be trimming the sage again this afternoon, assuming the rain holds off.

Comment

sage wine - as from recipe from Pdblake (thanks mate fantastic wine really enjoying it)

Comment

I am now a proud owner of a sage plant. Slowly building up our herb collection

Comment

Whats the best way to dry Sage?
                    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

thanks for starting this thread as I've also got loads of lovely sage and never really make the best use out of it. Definately going to go and have a look at the wine recipe...sounds lovely!

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
                        Whats the best way to dry Sage?
                        I usually hang up a bunch in the kitchen. However, if you've got a couple of plants in the garden you can get it fresh most of the year.
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks Flum
                          WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

I saw a website where someone made wine out of Sage.

Homebrew Sage wine recipe - making herb wine

The website hasn't been updated since he tasted it. I hope it didn't kill him!

Comment

This site began in 1995, I believe by a couple of students, it fell into disuse but was revived in its present form by one of the founders, it doesn't move much but the info is fairly clear, a more active site is Wines at Home, well run and very easy to navigate with seriously good advice and tutorials for beginners, I was banned for being silly! but still refer to WAH for technical details, the site is owned and run by "Bob Lockwood" a well known wine judge who really knows his stuff, I could not reccomend a site more highly. Bear, exmember WAH.
                              Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

I saw a recipe for sage and pumpkin/squash soup somewhere, think it was in the recipe section here. if not, just google

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X