"Curry leaves" can we grow them?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madmax View Post
    65C?!!?!? That's Chernobyl temperatures! Hottest I have stood in was in some God forsaken hole in the Emirates near Al Ain - 43C. Nearly melted. Atlanta cooked to 38C...
    Soz! for C read F througout!
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks for the link axe - very interesting site that!
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
        I have seen a curry plant in the herb section at the garden centre, it had very small leaves if I remember correctly. Smell was delish!
        How much was the GC selling for? I think I may be able to get the leaves from the city market or from few Asian stores we have around Birmingham. I gathered you can propagate from cuttings.

BTW the curry leave is a tree in Asia and the leaves looks similar to bay leaves, not to be confused with silvery curry plant that is for your flower border. It is very strong smelling so goes well with strong smelling meat like mutton, as in Mutton Curry.
        Last edited by veg4681; 22-01-2008, 01:01 PM.
        Food for Free

Comment

Yes you can but your cutting has to be fresh one ( not wilted)...

Momol
          I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Originally posted by veg4681 View Post
            How much was the GC selling for? I think I may be able to get the leaves from the city market or from few Asian stores we have around Birmingham. I gathered you can propagate from cuttings.

BTW the curry leave is a tree in Asia and the leaves looks similar to bay leaves, not to be confused with silvery curry plant that is for your flower border. It is very strong smelling so goes well with strong smelling meat like mutton, as in Mutton Curry.
            The one I have seen at the GC was the little silvery one. Most herbs here are about 1.25 a plant - small plants
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

Curry leaves plant

SBP,

Here is my curry leaves plant, still small (22 cm) but it is a 3 years old now,looks pretty ugly now, he loose some leaves during winter and became dormant.
              Mind you the quality of the piccie is not so good, I use my mobile camera, DH is on his busines trip, can't borrow his nice camera, my old cam...well I can't find the slot card thingy after moving house....

Enjoy,
              Momol
              Attached Files

Comment

A good photo momol.

The leaves have a tough sheen about them, kind of like small bay leaves? But I think you're gonna have to lavish lots of t.l.c. on your baby 'curry tree'!

Maybe I'll look for a young plant, I'm not sure I can wait so long to grow a tree from berries!
                To see a world in a grain of sand
                And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

They grow fast in tropic but here very sad and slow ( slower than the slowest snails sadly). If you can get the fresh curry leaves, try to root the stem, it does sometimes work but, has to be fresh supply (not wilted)...

momol

Comment

This is a useful link. It probably answers your question.

Spice Pages: Curry leaves (Murraya/Chalcas koenigii)

Comment

Thanks Vecten,

It will take years for my mini curry leaves plant to get to the pictures size. It was also attact by red spider mite . Just had some spray on it again and see what happen.

Comment

I wish I had joined this site sooner. Feel I missed out on this thread. Anyway, I guess it's never too late to learn. I'm originally from South Africa, and just wanted to say that my mum grows curry leaves in SA, outside were the temp doesn't drop below 10 degrees C (we're on the coast). The leaves are green and the plant does look tree-like. We use it in all curries - usually just 1/2 sprigs with about 8-10 leaves on each. Wouldn't try the curry plant mentioned earlier. I felt very home sick as I read this thread.

Comment

I've grown them over the summer from plant bought in the garden centre. I think curry smells great when you're cooking it, but I didn't like it in the garden. I wouldn't grow it again.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Hi Alice
                            What didn't you like about it? - Was thinking of trying it out myself.

Comment

The smell Delnel. They're strongly curry scented - and as I said it's great when you're cooking but I didn't like the smell in the garden.
                              Last edited by Alice; 27-04-2008, 05:46 PM.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Curry plants do smell just like curry powder, but they are not to be use in the kitchen. Whereas leaves from curry trees are used in cooking.
                                To see a world in a grain of sand
                                And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X