No announcement yet.

Growing Herbs from cuttings

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope - just for the smell - though I'm sure it must have some use!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      You put a link to tangerine sage on the 100 packets of seed thread!!
      Yeah I know what tangerine sage but you were talking about Salvia Elegans. That means nothing to me

Keep it simple people, I'm not very bright

Comment

I'd not heard it called Tangerine sage before so you confused me

Comment

Nope - just for the smell - though I'm sure it must have some use!
          Same here just pretty and smelly........in a nice way.

Comment

https://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx...Salvia+elegans

Comment

I've got this one in the front garden as well.
              https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/208839...t-Lips/Details

That's definitely not a herb. I'm getting confused again where do herbs stop and garden plants start when they've got the same scientific name ?

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post

That's definitely not a herb. I'm getting confused again where do herbs stop and garden plants start when they've got the same scientific name ?
                I think it's ambiguous when herbs stop and other plants start. Some say herbs are useful plants, others say it comes from herbaceous. I like scented plants in general.

I have a variant of Salvia Macrophylla myself. It's often called Blackcurrant Sage, just to confuse you, whereas Perovskia is sometimes called Russian Sage, despite not being a salvia.

Comment

I used to have "Hot Lips" in a previous garden. One of those plants that nobody can identify. I liked it.

My today's cuttings have been Ajuga reptans - one of the purple leaved forms. Decided it was a herb because it has medicinal uses according to PFAF
                  https://pfaf.org/user/plant.aspx?Lat...=Ajuga+reptans

It was in a hanging basket but I'm going to use it as ground cover where it works well.

Comment

I go by how much I usually use in a dish as to whether I think of a plant as a herb or veg. So coriander is a veg, chervil a herb, sage a herb, basil a veg, rhubarb a fruit.

Depending on what herbal doctrine used one method or another will probably have ascribed medical properties to the majority of plants. Some (e.g. The Doctrine Of Signatures) have less validity and scientific research backing them up than others.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post

Here's one I asked earlier ( and am not much wiser!).

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...erb_95823.html
                      Last edited by veggiechicken; 21-06-2018, 07:39 PM.

Comment

I used to have "Hot Lips" in a previous garden. One of those plants that nobody can identify. I liked it.

My today's cuttings have been Ajuga reptans - one of the purple leaved forms. Decided it was a herb because it has medicinal uses according to PFAF
                        https://pfaf.org/user/plant.aspx?Lat...=Ajuga+reptans

It was in a hanging basket but I'm going to use it as ground cover where it works well.
                        I have some bronze bugle - it spreads pretty well and does fine in either shade or sun.

Comment

Some photos of the cuttings I took - all rooted and potted.

These were poked into the pots and left to get on with it. At the back, lavender, next rosemary, then 3 types of sage and, in the round pots 2 different thymes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9870.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	2379426

These were started in water and potted after rooting.
                          From the back, Ajuga, Pineapple/tangerine sage. basil mint and apple mint.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9871.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	2379427

Well pleased with all my free plants!!

Comment

I love free plants too! I've had great success with Rosemary over the years...softwood cuttings, stripped lower bark, stripped leaves about 3/4 way up then stuck in water for couple of days, before sticking in soil.
                            Recently successfully rooted Bay, which I'm very pleased about! Similar process to Rosemary...small cuttings, stripped leaves, nicked bark and straight into soil. So far have four sprouted out of about eight. Looking forward to planting out and seeing if they grown into a tree

Comment

This is really useful, will definitely be trying to increase my herbs thank you
                              Anything is possible with the right attitude, a hammer
                              and a roll of duct tape.

Weeds have mastered the art of survival, if they are not in your way, let them feed bees

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X