Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baldy View Post
    Looks more like a Moor...
    Happy to post you some Bocking rootlets if you decide to be wise...
    Thanks for the cuttings.

I've gone the put it in a pot and grow it on until I decide where to put it.

on a side note, the comfrey seed I had didn't grow so that decision was made for me.

Thanks for all the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Cath.S View Post
      Hi

Newbie here, so probably a stupid question, does bocking 14 spread like the one that sets seed? Someone told me when comfrey (didn't tell me what kind) comes back after winter, it'll come back with more than one plant. I have s. officinale seeds and I'm a bit worried about using them now after reading they spread a lot. I don't have a lot of space, but comfrey's pros seem to outweigh the cons.

Thank you in advance.
      No bocking doesn't spread from seed or runners. It develops a long, strong taproot, a bit like a dock and regrows every year from that. You can cut the leaves off two or three times a year to use as a feed . Just be sure to plant it where you want it to stay permanently.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
        No bocking doesn't spread from seed or runners. It develops a long, strong taproot, a bit like a dock and regrows every year from that. You can cut the leaves off two or three times a year to use as a feed . Just be sure to plant it where you want it to stay permanently.
        And it grows back only one plant, right? I don't have a lot of space, so I'm a bit worried.
        In one of the allotments near my place they have one that sets seed and they always cut the flowers before they dry or place organza bags over the flowers to keep the seed from falling.

My problem is I can't find bocking 14 or any other comfrey here in Southern Europe, only seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
          ^I've just read Cadalot's post on his blog about his allotment neighbour. After reading that, I wouldn't sow it. If you've not read it, check message six on page one of this thread for Cadalot's link.
          Thanks for letting me know. If I use the variety that sets seed I don't plant on letting it set seed, I plan on cutting the flowers before they do, or place a bag over the flowers to keep them from spreading. That is if I even manage to get them to grow, I hear they are a pain to germinate. Bothering neighbours shouldn't be a problem as it's my own land and there are walls all around.

I can't find comfrey anywhere here in Southern Europe, and most UK providers don't ship overseas.

Comment

Originally posted by Cath.S View Post
            And it grows back only one plant, right? I don't have a lot of space, so I'm a bit worried.
            In one of the allotments near my place they have one that sets seed and they always cut the flowers before they dry or place organza bags over the flowers to keep the seed from falling.

My problem is I can't find bocking 14 or any other comfrey here in Southern Europe, only seeds.
            Yes it stays as one plant, although of course that plant does get bigger - I'd estimate my oldest one after about 30 years is roughly 3' high and 2' wide in the summer.

As for getting off-sets, a trip to a friendly allotment when you visit the UK, persuading visitors to bring a bit with them or getting someone to post a bit to you would seem like feasible options. What you want is a piece of root, preferably about 3 or more inches long with or without stem - this would be OK in a plastic bag for 10 days or so.

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
              Yes it stays as one plant, although of course that plant does get bigger - I'd estimate my oldest one after about 30 years is roughly 3' high and 2' wide in the summer.

As for getting off-sets, a trip to a friendly allotment when you visit the UK, persuading visitors to bring a bit with them or getting someone to post a bit to you would seem like feasible options. What you want is a piece of root, preferably about 3 or more inches long with or without stem - this would be OK in a plastic bag for 10 days or so.
              Thanks, I'll try that.

Comment

I'm in a similar situation. I was going to order from here and bring them back with me on my next trip:
                https://www.organiccatalogue.com/sea...comfrey&Go=%A0

Although they say plants on this page, if you click on one of the photos, you get expanded blurb and there they say roots.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X