Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a Herb?

Its raining and I'm sorting my box of herb seeds
    Some of the "herbs" shouldn't be there - but why?

I'm curious to know why some plants are called herbs. What makes a plant a "herb"?What do you think it means?

I thought herb was an abbreviation of herbacaous, so for me a herb is a seed bearing plant (to rule out mosses/ferns and such) which doesn't have a woody stem and dies down to the ground after flowering (biennials) or in the wintertime, and regrows from seeds (annuals) or roots (perennials).
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

Then I suppose you can sub-divide them into culinary herbs, medicinal herbs, and everything else.
      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
      Endless wonder.

Comment

Which ones shouldn't be there?
        I've no idea why a herb is a herb? They are weird little bu@@ers ! Some are what seasoning / flavourings, others are medical (beat the living daylights out of it. Turning it into a pultice and curing all ills......... Apparently )

I'm going to be pondering this for the rest of the afternoon, thanks VC

Comment

For me herbs are culinary, useful in the house for soap or Potpourri etc , or medicinal plants. For contrast my neighbour who's American uses the term for any non-woody plant.
          Seems we are both correct
          herb /həːb/
          noun plural noun: herbs
          any plant with leaves, seeds, or flowers used for flavouring, food, medicine, or perfume.
          "bundles of dried herbs"
          any seed-bearing plant which does not have a woody stem and dies down to the ground after flowering.
          "the banana plant is the world's largest herb"

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
            I thought herb was an abbreviation of herbacaous, so for me a herb is a seed bearing plant (to rule out mosses/ferns and such) which doesn't have a woody stem and dies down to the ground after flowering (biennials) or in the wintertime, and regrows from seeds (annuals) or roots (perennials).
            How about rosemary and sage? They don't die down in winter but they're "herbs".

Confusing innit.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              How about rosemary and sage? They don't die down in winter but they're "herbs".
              And thyme - unless that which I sowed nigh-on 12 months ago simply hasn't yet learnt that it's supposed to die down.

Also camomile - unless the variety people use to make lawns is not the same as the herb.
              Last edited by chris_m; 10-02-2018, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Front end of a Herbert?(no idea lol).

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                  Which ones shouldn't be there?
                  I'd put into the Herb box all the packets of Jekka's Herbs that I've bought in the 50p sale.
                  These included Broad leaved sorrel and Purslane. I also had those in the Oddments Vegetable box, so I wanted to decide which box they should be in!!
                  I think it comes down to whether you eat a lot of it in one go or just have a taste/hint/sprinkle.
                  So Sorrel and Purslane you can eat as a "vegetable" but you wouldn't eat a plate of Thyme or Rosemary.

Does that make sense??

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    I'd put into the Herb box all the packets of Jekka's Herbs that I've bought in the 50p sale.
                    These included Broad leaved sorrel and Purslane. I also had those in the Oddments Vegetable box, so I wanted to decide which box they should be in!!
                    I think it comes down to whether you eat a lot of it in one go or just have a taste/hint/sprinkle.
                    So Sorrel and Purslane you can eat as a "vegetable" but you wouldn't eat a plate of Thyme or Rosemary.

Does that make sense??
                    Yes, but they're the kind of veg that would be grown round a cottage rather than out in the fields, as a crop - I think that's why they come under 'herbs'.

Comment

An herb to me is summat you can add to dishes when cooking to savour and flavour!

And yes there are others that have medicinal values, St johns wart, camomile to name but a few, you really need to speak to Jeeka! She's the expert!
                      "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

I've been looking at Roger Phillips' book on Herbs which I've had for years.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...=used&qid=&sr=

I have a cunning plan (another one!). To sort through my seeds and find all the ones that are in the book, grow them and use them (unless they're for ailments I don't have!).

My aim is to grow only plants which are edible and/or useful - although being wildlife friendly or beautiful is also "useful".

I'll also refer to https://www.pfaf.org/user/default.aspx for more information.

Get your seed boxes ready - its always nice to have company.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X