No announcement yet.

Comfrey Soap Box

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But surely the point of veg gardeners growing comfrey is that it is an excellent source of mineral rich greens for the compost heap, and is continually cut down to the ground. So it needs to be robust to stand that sort of abuse, and should never have a chance to spread, since it should never have the chance to grow flowers and produce seeds.

Unlike the unwise people who gave us Himalayan balsam, invasive bamboos, and that other thug, Japanese knotweed, purely as plants for the pleasure garden.

Given the right conditions, many plants are invasive. I'm thinking of alchemilla, Welsh poppies, everlasting sweet peas, lily of the valley, oxalis, and I agree with Vixilix about ivy - hate the stuff!

A lot of our native wildflowers are considered invasive in the U.S.

If something spreads too much in your patch, as a gardener, you deal with it - prune it, chop it, dig it out. And learn from the experience. Nothing like empirical learning, it sticks with you so much better, pretty much like invasive plants
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

Nettles!....I spotted a packet of nettle seeds in a 'wildlife' section of a garden centre a few years ago.

Did you know you can buy Himalayan balsam in the garden centres over here?...but I digress, it's not something you'd intentionally plant in your allotment ....
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Nettles!....I spotted a packet of nettle seeds in a 'wildlife' section of a garden centre a few years ago.

Oh...and dandelions....

Did you know you can buy Himalayan balsam in the garden centres over here?...but I digress, it's not something you'd intentionally plant in your allotment ....
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Nicos I always thought the French were a bit strange, I mean lets face it they eat snails, I want to get rid of them off the allotment but that's a wee bit extreme !
          sigpic
          . .......Man Vs Slug
          Click Here for my Diary and Blog
          Nutters Club Member

Comment

I wouldn't dream of growing anything that wasn't bocking 14.

That said, I can't get my mint to take over, no matter how hard I try, and I'm delighted that I've got self-seeding borage all over the place. I'm also cautiously accepting that I will never get rid of the horsetails on my plot, and actually they're not that big a deal....

Comment

I've got hedge and then road on one side of my plot, on the other the plot hasn't had a permanent tenant for the 3 years I've been here, and probably longer. We've had 3 tenants turn up, dig a bit or, worse, rotavate the couch grass, plant something then leave it for months and be surprised they don't get any lovely veg....

So I am used to a forest of thistles setting seed right next door. C'est la vie.

Comment

Sellers have no moral obligations at all you need to know about what you want to buy. Seed suppliers know people don't have that long to read seed packets,they've put the major important things on there like do not eat,things they could get sued about but they can't fit an essay on everything you buy. It's like they don't say fruit trees need pollinating partners they don't tell you toilet tissue needs to be...... Next time you can take a photo in the shop,don't waste money on things you don't want or take them back & swap them maybe?

Comment

Some people don't read the information that is on a seed packet - like when to sow/harvest and spacing, so they're even less likely to read warnings.

Comment

VC there is a wealth of information on their web site but no warning about how invasive it can be if you let it go to seed, when grown from seed. If a newbie is researching before purchasing they are not going to find that information out beforehand.
                    sigpic
                    . .......Man Vs Slug
                    Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                    Nutters Club Member

Comment

I commented about basic information on seed packets - not about anyone's website.

Comment

Seed suppliers are just trying to sell the seeds,the best places to research seeds/plants before buying are RHS types of websites,places that offer information without trying to sell you something.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                          Some people don't read the information that is on a seed packet - like when to sow/harvest and spacing, so they're even less likely to read warnings.
                          That holds true for any instructions. Probably fifty per cent of the population never read instruction leaflets. We know which fifty per cent, don't we?.......
                          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                          Endless wonder.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X