Comfrey over growth!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comfrey over growth!!

Hello can anyone help I have an HUGE patch over comfrey which is great to have and very useful for composting and fertiliser but i have more than I or anyone at my allotment can use. How can i limit it?

Hi DM, it would help if you let us know where your lottie is(area will do for a start), someone might be nearby and may take some away for you. Stopping it from seeding will help slow down it's spreading habit, cut it down before it flowers, if it's not too late.

Comment

First I'll say hello and welcome to the vine

If you're already adding comfrey to you compost heap and making comfrey tea you could chop and drop it and use it as a mulch. As for limiting it if its bocking 14 could advertise it on freecycle but if its the other type that sets seed you'll have to not let if flower and dig some of the plants up. Hopefully that should limit the area it covers.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Wow, too much comfrey - what a position to be in I'm going to be planting more of it under my hedge.

What do you use it for at the moment and how do you use it? Comfrey Concentrate is a great way to use it up - at the moment I use an airtight bucket with a tap and pack it full of leaves (no water) - once I have enough I'll be making one out of a bin or water butt. It's not just for toms but can be used all over the place.

Digging up the roots may not get rid of it as the roots grow deep and grow back but might limit it's spread by using up its energy.

Hacking it back more often might limit it's grow a bit if it has to keep renewing it's leaves.

Use it for mulching the plot. keep cutting it back, tearing it up into smaller chunks and spreading it around everything. Not only are you then supressing weeds and keeping in the moisture but feeding the soil ad plants to boot. It's particularly good around things that need potassium such as fruit or alliums but also contains a fair amount of nitrogen so is handy around leafy plants as well (potassium is also used throughout the plants, not just fruit).

You could dry some of the leaves and store them to use with your spuds next year (mine isn't ready until after the spuds have gone in) or powder the dried leves and add them to potting mixes.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

some good answers,my hens love the leaves.
          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
            Hi DM, it would help if you let us know where your lottie is(area will do for a start), someone might be nearby and may take some away for you. Stopping it from seeding will help slow down it's spreading habit, cut it down before it flowers, if it's not too late.
            Hi thanks for your reply I'm in Somerset, its already in flower but i will remember for next year, I will leave some for the bees though

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
              Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
              First I'll say hello and welcome to the vine

If you're already adding comfrey to you compost heap and making comfrey tea you could chop and drop it and use it as a mulch. As for limiting it if its bocking 14 could advertise it on freecycle but if its the other type that sets seed you'll have to not let if flower and dig some of the plants up. Hopefully that should limit the area it covers.
              Hi Bren I've been Reading up on your ideas, and i will be making lots of mulch digging it up isn't an option as I've read the roots can get to 6 feet down!! thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by diannemary View Post
                Hi thanks for your reply I'm in Somerset, its already in flower but i will remember for next year, I will leave some for the bees though
                Cut the flowers off before they set seed; that way the bees can have their share and you'll can still slow it down.

Comment

Send some to me. What a position to be in. It's gold dust Comfrey. I can't get hold of any and been trying for years. Be careful what you complain about, there's many many people would like to be in your position right now.

Kind Regards......Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
                    Wow, too much comfrey - what a position to be in I'm going to be planting more of it under my hedge.

What do you use it for at the moment and how do you use it? Comfrey Concentrate is a great way to use it up - at the moment I use an airtight bucket with a tap and pack it full of leaves (no water) - once I have enough I'll be making one out of a bin or water butt. It's not just for toms but can be used all over the place.

Digging up the roots may not get rid of it as the roots grow deep and grow back but might limit it's spread by using up its energy.

Hacking it back more often might limit it's grow a bit if it has to keep renewing it's leaves.

Use it for mulching the plot. keep cutting it back, tearing it up into smaller chunks and spreading it around everything. Not only are you then supressing weeds and keeping in the moisture but feeding the soil ad plants to boot. It's particularly good around things that need potassium such as fruit or alliums but also contains a fair amount of nitrogen so is handy around leafy plants as well (potassium is also used throughout the plants, not just fruit).

You could dry some of the leaves and store them to use with your spuds next year (mine isn't ready until after the spuds have gone in) or powder the dried leves and add them to potting mixes.
                    Jay-ell thank for some lovely ideas, I'll certainly try collecting a bucket full to make some concentration and chopping it for the base around my fruit bushes.

Comment

Set up a comfrey pipe, I'm forever filling mine up Alans Allotment: Grand Erections - Comfrey Pipe
                      sigpic
                      . .......Man Vs Slug
                      Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                      Nutters Club Member

Comment

I've got it over my half of the new plot
                        It was glyphosated 3 times but the guy with the other half rotovated the whole plot, and now it's a nightmare.
                        I covered it all with weed 'control' fabric and have planted corn and squash through smallish holes in it. As long as I weed around those plants, they seem to be growing well.

The amount of comfrey growth through those small holes, though doesn't look as if the glypho slowed it down at all

Comment

comfrey over growth

Thanks for all your replies I now know what a truly magical plant I have.

Kindest Regards Dianne

Comment

Glyphosate is a possible cure but it takes many applications. The GEL type where you dab it on a typical weed is very concentrated. I've pulled most leaves off and smothered the two remaining leaves top and bottom on the couple of rouge plants that have popped up away from my primary comfry bed, it's looking sick but not yet dead so a further application is in order.

+1 on keeping the flowers immature and dig up anything remore that might be a new plant immediatly.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X