What is eating my kale

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is eating my kale

I have my nero kale netted as the birds were pecking at it. There are no slugs and snails or cabbage white but something has been eating it from underneath, leaving indelible marks on the leaf. On another kale I did find tiny tiny caterpillers of which I thought were not around yet as the cabbage white isn't active.

Anyway, any ideas please ?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20170701_16_02_10_Pro.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	2404722

It might be the diamondback moth caterpillar,smaller than cabbage white caterpillars,tiny green things they can hang off the leaf edge using their webbing to escape. I had butterfly netting on my Brussels sprouts last year,these moths can get through the holes,must be small,so I took the netting off to deal with them every other day,eggs are laid singularly on the leaf edges,about two on each leaf,the eggs aren't in a cluster like cabbage whites. They eat a lot!

Comment

Ive got mine covered in a net curtain. Been dying to take it off, but not till them butterfly's have flown away.
      Yours have been seriously nibbled Marb
      Nannys make memories

Comment

Yep, doesn't surprise me that I seem to be cursed with just about every pest going in such a small, walled garden.

Comment

I've been keeping my kale snug under a layer of fleece. When I took it off to inspect progress, I found the kale was smothered in mealy brassica aphids
          So I've taken off the fleece to let the dunnocks and robins have a go at them, and I'll just have to risk the cabbage whites and keep checking for eggs.
          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
          Endless wonder.

Comment

And a gigantic, brown/grey slug going right accross the sheep pellets around kales which shows they don't work. My other perenial tree kale decimated too now

Comment

Well even more has been eaten, including my perennial kale (the ones in pots incedently doing far better than in soil)

No sign of anything at all on the leaves on close inspection. They are netted so birds can't get to them.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20170702_10_48_54_Pro.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	2373422

Comment

How far away from the kale is the netting - is it supported well away on canes or is it draped over the top with leaves touching it?

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Draped over the top touching

Comment

Birds can still sit on the top and peck at it - they might not get much but they'll still give it a go

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

.........and butterflies can lay their eggs through the netting.

Comment

Hubby made a cage with six canes and then net curtain over the top, fleece for a roof, all kept together with clothes pegs.
                        Maybe try something like that Marb
                        Nannys make memories

Comment

I could but everything is so cramped and awkward for constructing suctures.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X